Daily Blue Sceen of Death and lockups

secretsofwater87

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
I've been having major issues lately with BSODs. I've done all the troubleshooting steps I could think of which were

- Virus Scan
- Scan Hard Drives
-Reinstall NVIDIA drivers
-Run Memtest

What happens is I could be playing a game on windowed mode and when I alt tab out of it and watch a youtube/netflix/hulu video it'd lead to the computer locking up and looping whatever sound is playing. I can only remember one instance where it happened without a game running in the background.

I'm running an
Asus 170-A MOBO
EVGA 1070 SC GPU
i5 6600k with a very tiny overclock.
All these devices have been running fine until last week. No changes have been made to my system whatsoever. This includes any software installations.
The codes I get for the BSODs are always different too. A couple of them are
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION cause: ntoskrnl.exe
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED cause: Wdf01000.sys
REFERENCE_BY_POINTER cause: ntoskrnl.exe

There are others but they have no string. Those were probably the times I had to hard reset the PC.

I'm hoping it isn't my GPU but the last thing I remember is I tried removing it from the mobo and forgot to unlock it so I tugged at it a bit. No bend, cracking or anything happened because I know better then to put too much force. I can't imagine that'd cause the issues.

So what else should I try aside from reformatting the rig?

secretsofwater87

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

So I should uninstall my NVIDIA Drivers, use DDU uninstaller in safe mode, then I should be able to reinstall them and the issue should hopefully be gone?

Well hopefully, it's gone. It maybe the version you're installing. The latest isnt always the greatest

Here I just let windows 10 install them. So far so good. Nothing has crashed YET.

Altho if you dont need all the crap, just do a custom install - the drivers and HDMI audio, if you're using HDMI

I usually untick the rest. I dont need them or use them