Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Best Settings?

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Hey everyone. I’m trying to get the most out of my monitor and GPU. Should I just use the default presets or are there ideal calibration settings? Also, how do I successfully overclock to 165hz? Thanks!

Solution
tftcentral.co.uk has a calibration profile as I recall. Really you should do a hardware/software calibration with tools, but it isn't a pro grade monitor, so no real need for super accurate color reproduction. You paid for speed.

165Hz is actually overclocking the panel. They recommend against it as it reintroduces ghosting and latency. Also not guaranteed, it is "Up to" 165hz, a few people have posted their panels can't even do it. Better to run it at native 144hz.

But if you want to give it a go, simply change the setting in the monitor menu, then set your desktop resolution to that under advanced display adapter properties in Windows.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
tftcentral.co.uk has a calibration profile as I recall. Really you should do a hardware/software calibration with tools, but it isn't a pro grade monitor, so no real need for super accurate color reproduction. You paid for speed.

165Hz is actually overclocking the panel. They recommend against it as it reintroduces ghosting and latency. Also not guaranteed, it is "Up to" 165hz, a few people have posted their panels can't even do it. Better to run it at native 144hz.

But if you want to give it a go, simply change the setting in the monitor menu, then set your desktop resolution to that under advanced display adapter properties in Windows.

Solution

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Thank you very much for the prompt and informative response Eximo. :) I really appreciate it. :D I will definitely stay at 144hz then. As for calibration, you think I should just stick with the manufacture presets then? I purchased the monitor for its IPS panel too, so I would love to achieve the best colors if possible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is not really an IPS panel though, AHVA (Vertical Alignment, rather than In Plane Switching)

It certainly has brighter colors and better viewing angles than your typical TN panel. But no where near a high end IPS display with say Adobe RGB support.

Here is TFT Centrals recommended settings from their calibration, and one user submtted:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

They are pretty close to the defaults though.

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Ah, I see. Got it! Well, I will give those calibration settings a go and see how I like them compared to the default presets. Thanks again Eximo. You’ve been a big help my friend. :)