Looking for Laptop Recommendations for Work

inanition02

Distinguished
Looking for help from the community - we're switching to BYOD and I'm in need of a laptop for work. While at work, I'll nearly always be remoting into a virtual desktop - so raw horsepower isn't super important - but I will use it sometimes while disconnected or on a plane, so I don't want a bottom of the barrel machine either. I'm also in meetings all day and moving from place to place, so that drives a lot of the criteria:

Criteria:
- Thin and light (doesn't have to be Macbook Air thin, but something I can easily carry around)
- Screen of 12-14", at least FHD (no larger - it's hard to have larger on an airplane)
- Backlit keyboard
- At least 8gb of RAM and 512gb SSD (want the speed of an SSD, but still need to carry files) or dual SSD/HDD
- Open to Windows 10 or Mac OS (but not Chrome OS)
- At least 6-8 hours battery life, longer the better
- Touchscreen/2-in-1 preferred but not required
- Prefer new in box to used/refurbished

I've found a number of options that fit the bill in the $1500-1800 range (including MS Surface which is at least that much for the 512gb SSD or Macbook/MBP which is the same at that storage) but am hoping the collective brain of the Tom's group can recommend a cheaper GEM I've overlooked.

Also, I know it's all the rage, but since this PC will be with me at work, I'd really prefer not something with a crazy multi-LED design. :)

Thanks in advance!!!

mrmez

Splendid
Earlier Surface models had shockingly high faults and return rates, so definitely skip those. I believe the current gen are faring much better.

I use Mac's for everything other than gaming. Currently use a 12" Macbook for uni, and have had 13&15" pro's in the past.
Skip the Air. It's old spec and old tech.
The 13" fit better on the airline I travelled with (a return flight Sydney to Perth ~ once week). The 15" would hang over the front of the tray with the screen at my preferred angle. That gen was also a bit heavy.
The current 12" is great in every aspect except screen size. This will be a different priority for everyone.
It's light, ~900grams, zero moving parts and actually gets pretty close to 10 hours battery.
I really like the feel of the keyboard (again, personal), and the force touch trackpad.
Biggest advantage I find is MacOS. Less variability, less glitches and no bloatware that seems to be loaded on all laptops today.

TRENDING THREADS