PC Upgrade Path/Future Proofing For The Next 3~4 Years

minguekwak

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I am in 9th grade (high school). I currently have a gaming system with used/very slightly outdated components, and plan to upgrade my current system once I get to college or when I am a senior. My current system is an i5 6600k with a GTX 980 Ti Gigabyte Windforce GPU, as well as a Crucial m.2 and a Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard. Do you think that this is enough for me to keep playing at 1080p 100+ FPS for the next 3-4 years? I plan to save up around 2000 dollars in the next few years to build a more premium/well planned system. Is this a good idea? Any tips for making money for a 15 year old? The thing is... The place in which I reside, there aren't many summer jobs/chores to do. I am guessing that by the year 2021 there is gonna be two more generations of Nvidia and AMD, as well as the golden 60$/16GB RAM pricing. I just want some feedback on what I should be doing...

Also. Can't believe that when the 980Ti came out, you could get 64 gigs of ram for 250 bucks... I paid $240 for 16GB... I don't know what I am saying in this post anymore.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from minguekwak : "PC Upgrade Path/Future Proofing For The Next 3~4 Years"

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your current rig should be fine for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't sweat this too much.

Saving for a future rig is also a mature thing to do. BTW, you are correct, memory (and GPU) prices are crazy right now. This too shall pass.

jvc21

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
The best piece of advice is to save that money up for college savings. The fact that you are aware about saving and the opportunities available shows that you have a well-intended plan in place. I just wouldn't spend it on a premium PC if I was 15 years old.

If you have an odd talent or something marketable (like correcting papers / translation work / ESL conversations), you can make side jobs available to customers like Fiver.

Good luck! Keep at it!