Motherboard OEMs Release New AM4 BIOSes Ahead Of Raven Ridge Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
Sure would be nice if they would put more than a cryptic 1-line description of each new version.

I have the Asrock X370 gaming itx/ac and overall, I like it, but it can't clock my RAM up to the rated speed stably (I have Corsair 3000MHz but running it at anything over 2133 doesn't work well), or overclock my 1600x without it hanging on sleep about half the time.

I know the RAM's not the issue as it worked fine at 2933 in a different Ryzen motherboard.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014

The CPU can affect possible overclocks. Usually with ITX motherboards memory overclocks easily as the traces are small and you only use 2 dimms at a time. The only way you can be sure ram is not the issue is if you use really good ryzen ram (like g.skill flare) or something from the QVL list on asrock's website.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
As far as I understand you won't really benefit from the power of the integrated graphics without a display port (for 4k60 support, or 1440p144 support). Really disappointed Asus didn't include display port on a single micro atx model, not even the TUF PLUS Gaming model. Sad...

Kerry Lourash

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Waiting for next HW revision of AM4 motherboards, maybe new chipset...

You don't expect them to get it right the first time!?

sean.mohrhoff

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
I'm not an AMD user, so trying to catch up here...
Are you saying that AMD MoBo's have on-board video but the CPUs never supported them?
Is that to say up until now every AMD MoBo required a separate video card in order to use it?

Kerry Lourash

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Some older AMD AM4-socket-compatible chips have GPU's & are supported by boards. Only the new Ryzen models have GPU's.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The AM4 motherboards never had on-board video. They have video outputs for processors with built-in graphics. What Leon was implying was that there weren't any AM4 chips with graphics that could utilize these outputs, but he's wrong. Bristol Ridge APUs have been out for quite a while for OEMs, and for a little while now for consumers. Those APUs had integrated graphics and thus utilized the boards video outputs.

They're easy to overlook though in the DIYer market... even more so now that Ryzen G is being rolled out.

beppomarx

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
That's all fine and dandy, and I love APU's. I actually have a AB350M Pro4 new in box waiting to use, this gives me another option. However why is it still impossible to find a decent laptop with a 2500u? There are 3 options as far as I can tell and they call have sub-par screen panels and other significant drawbacks. They have been available for months now I don't get it... Why not focus on one thing at a time?

BugariaM

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
It's all great, but how did it happen that upcoming Ryzen APUs supports natively HMDI 2.0, and on the motherboard side support stuck in the previous era on the version of HDMI 1.4?

Of all boards, only two motherboards are claimed to have HDMI 2.0 - the most expensive models from the MSI and Biostar. That somehow reduces their attractiveness to zero.

But why???

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
"The only way you can be sure ram is not the issue"

...or if you put it in another AM4 motherboard and it overclocks to 2933 fine, like I said in the first comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.