Computer keeps losing focus on the window I am using, even while in the middle of typing. (Edit: Possibly hacked?)

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Edit: See 3rd post and link to image for my reasons for wondering if I've had my email or computer hacked into.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This started about a week ago and is highly annoying when you go to scroll down a page and nothing happens until you click the mouse cursor on that window again. It even does it while your in the middle of typing something out.

One other oddity. I went out for a while yesterday and when I got home and turned my monitor on (I left the PC running) it was not only on the "log in" page but when I went to get to the desktop it stopped me and asked me for my password. This is despite turning off the need to log in with a password or to go to the log in page ages ago. What it wanted was my hotmail password because it seems it linked up with my email account all without my knowledge.

On top of that, when I did get to the desktop the desktop background picture had changed to an image that I was currently using on my previous PC which I also had updated to Windows 10.

Lastly, my user account has been changed to show my email address and not the username I had been using.

On more small thing I should mention. Due to MS patches breaking the theme that I like and it taking the 1 guy that does it a fair while to update it. Because of this, I have been using a small program that someone wrote that stops Windows 10 from installing any updates. Once the theme is supported by the current version I will bring remove the program and let Windows 10 install the updates. Because of this I'm sure that this isn't a Windows Update issue.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this stuff? (P.S. Yes, I've tried the usual things like
sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r and ran Avast and Malwarebytes.)

Thanks

Solution
Hi, in my opinion, numerous problems all in one thread makes its difficult to answer. Suggestion: Next time list only 1 question and you'll get better answers. I'll try to help with some of it.

Windows losing Focus
This program might help, it will tell you which programs have the focus. http://www.adminscope.com/downloads/window-focus-logger-gui/ Note: Scroll down on the page past all of the errors. The errors are on the website, not the software. I've tested the software and it appears to work (for me). Screenshot from my PC:
scrnshot.jpg

Windows asking for hotmail password
It sounds like your Windows User Account has been changed to an online / connected account. It was...

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
OK, now I'm getting annoyed. I turned off "need password to sign back in" just yesterday and yet, today I again have to use my hotmail password. I'm going to check my hotmail settings but MS shouldn't be able to make changes to my computer without my consent...

On a whim I thought I'd check out my passwords/credentials and I found this. I've blacked out sensitive data that is mine and boxed in red the stuff that I don't think belongs. Have I, or my email account been hacked?

Thanks.

Credentials.jpg

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, in my opinion, numerous problems all in one thread makes its difficult to answer. Suggestion: Next time list only 1 question and you'll get better answers. I'll try to help with some of it.

Windows losing Focus
This program might help, it will tell you which programs have the focus. http://www.adminscope.com/downloads/window-focus-logger-gui/ Note: Scroll down on the page past all of the errors. The errors are on the website, not the software. I've tested the software and it appears to work (for me). Screenshot from my PC:
scrnshot.jpg

Windows asking for hotmail password
It sounds like your Windows User Account has been changed to an online / connected account. It was probably a Local account before. I think this can happen if you login with any of those newer Windows 10 apps such as the Windows Store. These pages are a bit dated but the process should be straight forward.

How to Revert Your Windows 10 Account to a Local One
https://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-windows-store-hijacks-it/

Switch back to a local account from a Microsoft account
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-switch-back-to-a-local-account-from-a-microsoft-account/

Old background image
Windows can also "sync" files between systems. So if you had sync turned on with an older system, and you've now connected to your hotmail account and have sync turned on with your new system, then you might get weird things such as background images from your old PC, documents, etc. Change to a Local account and you probably won't have to deal with sync settings after that.

I hope some of this helps out. Cool avatar. Good luck.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
looking in credentials on my PC, I have Virtualapp/dvdlogical as well with a user name that isn't mine - https://superuser.com/questions/234537/what-is-virtualapp-didlogical

windows live would be the same, its the login info for Windows live. where it is getting the name from obviously isn't an email address in your case

I am not 100% sure about SSO_POP_Device but i have it myself - possibly part of Office login

It could be the numbers it shows that start with 02 are the actual account numbers that the email addresses are tied to

its not unusual, its normal.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks, both of you. The "Window Focus" program found the culprit. It was MalwareBytes System Tray that kept taking focus away to do "something." I'll use the links to un-link my email account. And I feel better knowing that someone else has credentials like mine on their system too. I wish I could pick both of you as "the solution."

Colif

Win 11 Master