Wireless connection drops every 5 minutes after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7

jacobkazuki

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
Okay, so this is really stressing me out.
I've "upgraded" from windows 7 to windows 10, purely because I thought it'd be time to move on and get some of the newer games I bought to run on my pc, because for some reason games such as Siege had compability issues with my processor on windows 7, but run flawlessly on windows 10, anyway I digress

Every 5-10 minutes, my internet connection either drops, or drops partially (as in I can hear people on discord, but nothing else works) or it says I'm connected, but nothing happens, webpages stop loading and it just doesn't respond, nothing happens like I have no internet.

Sometimes my ping also goes up to around 4000ms which is really weird, and this all started happening as soon as I upgraded to windows 10. I'm out of ideas.

This is what I've done so far:
I've more or less reduced the ping spikes but it still goes up like crazy sometimes
I disabled the P2P windows update setting
I disabled the power management setting which puts the adapter into sleep mode
I disabled power saving in general, and have the system in high performance mode
I updated the drivers for the wifi adapter, they are the newest from the manufacturers website
I changed adapter settings to ensure it wasn't dropping connection, such as change wireless modes but it still drops.

I have no idea what to do now, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Solution
uninstall the driver you have from manufacturer, run ccleaner (in tools, run registry cleaner) reboot.
LET windows 10 identify and install MS Windows driver designed for windows 10.

Test

yes I mean to leave out the manufacturer driver for the time being.
Which wifi adapter do you have?
Soo you're now on windows 10 or windows 7?
Did you install drivers for your Wifi adapter when you installed windows 10, and make sure they are latest, if latest doesn't work then try one earlier.
And did you install any software for your Wifi adapter as it may cause issues as conflict.

jacobkazuki

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

yep, working perfectly now. I left the computer on to download a game after doing that and it's been working fine. no cutouts, ping stable at 32. usually if i came back after 5 minutes it'd refuse to refresh and i'd have to unplug and plug the adapter back in. thanks for the help!