How can I find out the license code of my Windows 10 when my hard drive is now corrupt and had to be removed?

sanj500

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
Hi guys.

Hope you're well.

Here is the issue.

A couple of days ago my Asus laptop died on me and it was later found out that the reason was the hard drive. I have removed the damaged hard drive and purchased a new one.

The issue is, the damaged hard drive that is not being detected had Windows 10 on it, that was preloaded onto the drive by the manufacturer when I purchased the laptop 5 years ago.

My question is. How do I load windows 10 onto this new hard drive that I have purchased without buying windows 10 again. Is there a way of me finding out the license key number of that windows 10 that was on the now corrupted hard drive?

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Sonny.

Solution
If you're just reinstalling the OS on a new drive in the same system, you do not need the WIn 10 license key.
That info is already stored as MS Central.

Just install Win 10 on a new drive in the system, and it will activate itself when it goes online.

USAFRet

Titan
If you're just reinstalling the OS on a new drive in the same system, you do not need the WIn 10 license key.
That info is already stored as MS Central.

Just install Win 10 on a new drive in the system, and it will activate itself when it goes online.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Since this was a system that's probably been upgraded to Win 10 from something else, it has a digital license.
The license key that Speccy retrieves is just a generic number.

What needs to happen is linking the OS to a MS account.
Thusly:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

I didn't know that. Might be why when I've answered questions I've asked them about that "Windows is activated with a digital license" statement. Couldn't connect 2 dots....................

USAFRet

Titan

If you purchased and installed a Win 10, then you have a specific license key.
Obtainable with Speccy or Belarc Advisor.
And can use that to install on different hardware.

If you Upgraded from something else, you have a digital license.
A hash of your system spec and the previous license.

With the above links, you can link that OS license to an MS account rather than specific hardware. And move it to new hardware later.

About the only case where it does NOT work is a preinstalled Win 10, from one of the majors. Dell/HP/Asus/etc.

Sorry to butt in on this thread with a somewhat unrelated question but ... I've run Belarc Advisor on a laptop that I don't know the history of the Win 10 install. It has returned a license key ... is there a way for me to tell if this is a specific license key or a digital license?

USAFRet

Titan

Start-Settings-Update & Security-Activation
MIQ9ckq.png

You should just be able to create the windows 10 installer on USB using the windows 10 media creation tool, boot the system from it, tell it you don't have a product key. Pick the version that was on there before. Most of the time, it will pick it up and activate after you connect to the internet.