Buying Hard Drives: Newegg vs Amazon

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
does the seller/warehouse matter when buying hard drive? does it make any difference if i buy a hard drive from Newegg vs Amazon? has anyone encountered bad experience from either?

Solution
Buy from however is cheaper. Ive bought complete custom computers from both, computer in sig was from amazon, and haven't had issues from ether site.

Ive gotten SSD's and HDD from both and none of them have failed before, the 6TB drive was from amazon 4 years ago and its still going strong with all my games on it.

I actually cant remember the last time i had a failed hdd
Amazon has a pretty good return policy from my experience, but it also includes third party sellers. Newegg Market Place includes third party sellers, but AFAIK Newegg on its own is a first party seller.

However, chances of a bad experience with either is usually rare due to the vetting they do and number of orders they have handled would have made them better.

Buy your HDD wherever it is cheaper, just check the review outside and make sure it is not too cheap to be true.

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014

i guess what im more interested in finding out is if there's a difference in durability outside of the 30day return period e.g. HDDs from amazon last 3 years on average while HDDs from newegg last 5 years on average

also is there possibility that amazon/newegg would send HDDs that they're aware are more likely to have shorter lifespan if you didn't purchase their data recovery/protection plan because they know after that expected lifespan, they don't have to bother with insuring you anymore?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
In newegg, some items are from the manufacturers but sold by neweggs. Are those item reliable to buy? I guess so but I want to confirm with experienced forum users. On their website, they stated that if the customers change their minds or things do not work out, they charge restocking fees. On the internet, some people complained about restocking fees but some people said that no restocking fees was charged. So, which is correct? Is it depending on luck and who the agent is?

Buy from however is cheaper. Ive bought complete custom computers from both, computer in sig was from amazon, and haven't had issues from ether site.

Ive gotten SSD's and HDD from both and none of them have failed before, the 6TB drive was from amazon 4 years ago and its still going strong with all my games on it.

I actually cant remember the last time i had a failed hdd

Solution