Input Lag due to lower FPS or a bad choice of monitor?

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have recently bought a new Dell P2418D which is 1440p 24in IPS screen. Image quality is good and it's a great solution for daily computer tasks but the main reason for this acquisition was to get an even better image from X-Plane 11

Problem is my graphics card which was steady around 52 fps in 1080p is now under 30 fps, understandable since there is now over 77% more pixels on screen but when approaching the short final for landing, when the auto pilot is disconnected, and lots of buildings objects and textures have to be processed, with fog, seems that there is a nasty lag going on.

Many small inputs needs to be done fast in joystick to keep the plane lined to the track plane but it gets unresponsive to the point that is very hard to control it and few times I've killed myself trying. Now I know that my GTX1060 6Gb is not recommended for over 1080p but need to wait the cryptocurrency hype ends to upgrade

Can I assume that in this scenario (under 13fps) there is an inherent input lag in controls or I did very wrong choosing the cheapest 1440p Dell monitor? Is there an specification that I should had check before to be able to run games with it?

Thank you all in advance

Solution
Did the test using in game rendering at 1080p and besides a huge improve in fps the input lag was still there. Did another test but plugged the joystick directly to the MB USB port instead of external hub and everything is good now.

What is puzzling me now is that the joystick was always connected to this hub before swapping monitors. I will have to fly some flights to be sure because I suspect the problem was solved when resetting the joystick

rustigsmed

Distinguished
the monitor appears to have an input lag of 8ms - if that is what you refer to (most gaming monitors are 1-5ms, but tvs are much more), - you might feel a difference if you came from a 1ms monitor (but i doubt it) otherwise i would guess that it is that fog doesn't look good when rendering at a low frame rate (gpu/resolution)? have you tried in-game rendering at 1080p to see if it makes a difference?

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Makes a huge difference in 1080p for the fps and its back to the 60ish I had with the previous but I had not test it for input lag TBH, which I should have. I will setup this and get back here, thanks

One other thing. This Dell is rated 5 ms in fast mode, same as the Samsung I used to have but you refer it by the normal input lag which is 8 ms. What is the deal with that fast response time? Just marketing?

Thank you

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did the test using in game rendering at 1080p and besides a huge improve in fps the input lag was still there. Did another test but plugged the joystick directly to the MB USB port instead of external hub and everything is good now.

What is puzzling me now is that the joystick was always connected to this hub before swapping monitors. I will have to fly some flights to be sure because I suspect the problem was solved when resetting the joystick

Solution