Work Around to replace the 27" LCD screen of a late-2013 iMac

williah

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
So I have an interesting idea/project on which I could use some advice or guidance.

I have a late-2013, 27" iMac in which the screen has gone bad. I developed 3 large black (dead) bands running vertically.

I opened up the mac, researched technology on lcds (of which I knew very little about originally) and figured out that connections on the ribbon cables to the lcd had gone bad. I looked into replacing the screen but there are no used replacements readily available and it is a high price tag for a new replacement. Trying to figure out a fix I came up with an idea.

The iMac's graphics card sends out a signal through a LVDS cable. This connects to the signal processor on the back of the monitor (scalar and tcon boards?). Now this screen is manufactured by LG, and is the exact model they used in an HD television they used to sell. The only apparent difference (to me) is the cable connector. Unfortunately I'm no expert.

Anyway, my thought was to build a converter that takes this LVDS cable from the graphics card and converts and sends the new signal to an HDMI plug, which i can connect to any external monitor. I've seen similar builds that go from HDMI to LVDS cable, but none for what I'm looking to do. I even reached out to some of the builders of such boards but to no avail.

My other thought was to build a board that takes the LVDS and converts it into a more standard connector, so that I can then connect to a different lcd screen all together, a less expensive but comparable lcd screen.

I know these are quite complicated ideas I'm throwing out. I have experience with smaller circuit board builds and programming for minor projects, but nothing like this. I'm wondering if there is anyone with experience in this subject that could guide me in the right direction to build it, learn the technology involved, or maybe "send me a comparable blueprint," etc.? I think this is a cool work-around project, even if all I get out of it is experience and knowledge on the technology.

All replies appreciated.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
MERGED QUESTION
Question from williah : "Work Around to replace the 27 LCD screen of a late-2013 iMac"