Scanner not working, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

biggames0101

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Device Timeout}
The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired."

The device itself is a Benq Scanner 5000 and it works (although through vuescan) on windows 7.
Windows 10 recognizes it, but gives me this error message.I have to note that the device is turned off all the time, even when i restart, except when i uninstall it and it reinstalls (by scanning for hardware changes in device manager). Then it's green light on the front lits up (which i think means it's powered on), it's recognized and "working well" in device manager, but it's still not recognized by neither the Scan app, nor the Windows Scan and Fax program. I just got the scanner from a friend of mine (and he warned me it's very old), so it's not an 'out-of-nowhere' problem.
If anyone's got any ideas on how to fix that, please help,

Solution
Microsoft changed the way scanners are accessed in Windows 10, and a lot of older scanners which never got Win 10 drivers are now orphaned and no longer work. Vuescan is the only way to use them (that I know of).

Edit: I may be misremembering and it may have been Windows 7 which implemented the change. Either way, Vuescan is your best bet at getting old scanners working with newer versions of Windows. Are you using Vuescan under Windows 10?
Microsoft changed the way scanners are accessed in Windows 10, and a lot of older scanners which never got Win 10 drivers are now orphaned and no longer work. Vuescan is the only way to use them (that I know of).

Edit: I may be misremembering and it may have been Windows 7 which implemented the change. Either way, Vuescan is your best bet at getting old scanners working with newer versions of Windows. Are you using Vuescan under Windows 10?

Solution