Screen disconnects when playing games

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
So I posted previously on "http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3637161/screen-disconnects-playing-games.html" and I thought it was solved but apparently it was just luck or something, I've tried many things since then, I got a new HDMI monitor and connected it with an HDMI cable, uninstalled drivers and reinstalled them as instructed in the previous thread, then I opened up my case put it beside me and started monitoring CPU and GPU heat and fanspeed, fps and ram usage and GPU Voltage and then I opened a game and tried to force the issue, so from what I could see is that everything is normal in the above parameters and no sudden changes before the GPU crash (I assume its the gpu driver) and I can hear everything going on my pc, I can close stuff with alt+f4 and looking at my open pc case I can see that the PSU, GPU, CPU and their fans are working properly. At this point I was desperate and updated my bios for improved GPU compatibility and the issue still persisted.
I also tried connecting another screen to the dvi port after the crash but nothing happened.
I'm planning on getting a new cpu and mobo soon but could my outdated CPU be the issue? I didn't think it was because this problem only started happening last month.

Im using windows 7 ultimate and my specs are:-
GPU: Nvidia gtx 950
CPU: Intel Pentium g620 2.6GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P
500 watt power supply
1 Terra HDD
LED SamsungS24D330 connected with HDMI

Solution
Then replace the PSU asap. Thats your problem. It probably is not well rated or a good quality. Get a good quality unit from the likes of Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA. 500W should be good.

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

Yes only happens during heavy effects in games like explosions, the way i forced to crash to test was opening the game and spamming an ability many times per second. The psu is called “Digital DTG-500w” I think its a local brand not internationally known.

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

The issue started when i upgraded to windows 10 and i downgraded back to 7 in an attempt to fix it

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

But if its a faulty psu wouldnt the gpu turn off after the crash? I can see its fans moving in the case after it crashes

The computer should technically reboot, yes. But perhaps power is still being supplied. I still suspect PSU is the issue. Try it out with a new PSU.

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

I ordered the "SeaSonic [SS-520GB] S12II-520w 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply" and it should arrive in two days, I'll test it out and see if that solves it, I also wanted to ask if this psu is good or should i refund it and look for another one.

It is a pretty old architecture. Refund it, try this:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jTWnRB
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jTWnRB/by_merchant/

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $74.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-14 08:12 EST-0500

Will allow for future upgrades as well.