How to salvage Windows 10 install on new HDD

stevejmitchell

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
I have windows 10 installed on an HDD that won't boot. I can't seem to fix the boot problem so I'm thinking I'd like to install a fresh Win10 on another HDD, then salvage the old installation (programs, configuration), etc as much as possible.

Question: If I have a clean install of Windows 10 and my old installation on another HDD, can I somehow copy over (effectively "restore") Windows 10 from my old installation directly?

Solution
IF the hard drive does not have a physical problem, you "could", but if it does not that means there is a problem with Windows itself. And that would mean you would not WANT to do that.

Here is what I would recommend since you've already indicated a willingness to obtain a new drive anyhow.

First, try a different cable with that HDD, or a different SATA header. SATA headers can and do fail. Cables can and do fail. Are you getting a specific error message when you try to boot from that drive or does it just not show up at all?

Get a new drive, do a clean install. Do this without the old drive attached, you do not want the old boot partition interfering with the boot process after the installation if the system sees the other boot...
IF the hard drive does not have a physical problem, you "could", but if it does not that means there is a problem with Windows itself. And that would mean you would not WANT to do that.

Here is what I would recommend since you've already indicated a willingness to obtain a new drive anyhow.

First, try a different cable with that HDD, or a different SATA header. SATA headers can and do fail. Cables can and do fail. Are you getting a specific error message when you try to boot from that drive or does it just not show up at all?

Get a new drive, do a clean install. Do this without the old drive attached, you do not want the old boot partition interfering with the boot process after the installation if the system sees the other boot partition and decides it doesn't need to create a new one.

After installation, shut down, connect the old drive, and boot into windows. Copy any important files off to an external drive or flash drive if you can.

Download and run Seatools for Windows or WD data lifeguard. For Seatools, run the Short DST (Drive self test) followed by the long generic. For WD life guard run the Quick test followed by the Extended test. IF any of them fails, then there is either an issue with the drive or there is a problem with a cable, a SATA header or the motherboard storage controller is failing.

If the drive tests fine and you were able to copy your data off of it, then you can possibly clone the drive to your other drive, but I think I would ride the new installation for a few days at least. Perhaps the new drive will not work either and you will discover right off the bat that you have a motherboard or other issue and that the drive was not the culprit in the first place. Probably not, but it happens.

Solution