Windows 10 Installation ending in blue screen of death

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
I built a PC with 3 storage devices:

250gb Samsung Evo Nvme
480gb SSD
1tb HDD

I installed windows on the nvme and all was well, for a few days. Then the PC started crashing and restarting before progressing to boot looping.

I blamed the Samsung and decided to take it out of the PC.

Now I can't reinstall windows on the SSD.

After taking the Samsung out I rest the boot order in UEFI. During the windows installation I get get as far as selecting the drive to install on, deleting partitions off the SSD, the installation starts and gets past copying files for windows, it progresses to 1% of preparing files for installation then blue screens. Every time.

The result is the same if I enter the product key or progress without a product key. If I don't delete the partition it causes a 0x0000005 error.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
0xC0000005 is an access violation (segfault). This points to a bug in the installer, but it doesn't rule out other causes.
Try making a new ISO and reburn the installer

what are rest of specs of the PC??

DO you have latest BIOS? sometimes they fix problems or add features that might help

Try running memtest86 on the ram, 1 stick at a time. Any errors could explain the problems you are having as that code could be a ram problem. It creates a bootable USB so no need for windows to run it.

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
Rest of PC specs are: Ryzen 1600 cpu, msi B350 Tomahawk (running the previous bios, will update), 16gb Corsair RGB vengeance RAM 3000mhz (2 x 8gb), aerocool 700w integrated PSU, LG bluray drive.

Many thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
It turned out to be the ssd. When replaced with another windows installed easily. Troubleshooting has been a painful process. There really wasn't anything obvious to indicate it was the ssd. It showed up in uefi and in windows installation as you would expect it to. It was brand new. To have two new drives simultaneously be problematic in a new build is pretty unlucky. Ah well, at least the root cause is identified and the PC is working now.

mart22

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

It was a Sandisk SSD Plus, replaced with a Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD.

Is there anything during the short, first operational period of the PC that could have damaged the M.2 and SSD? Such as the PC power plan, going to sleep etc. Thinking back all of my original problems manifested after waking the PC from sleep. I didn't give it much thought at the time as I was concerned with fixing the blue screens and crashes.

It may not be connected, but I turned sleep off in the settings to be on the safe side.

Colif

Win 11 Master

I was asking what brand the Power Supply is. Bad power can cause corruption of data on drives,