Windows 10 booting slow after RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

souvikray123

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Hi ,

My laptop is an HP AB216tx with windows 10 . I upgraded my RAM yesterday from 4GB to 8GB . But the boot time seems to have increased . So , here's what I did --
1. Reset BIOS
2. Reduce Page File Size
3. Delete Prefetch ( restarted twice after that )
4. Turned Off Fast Startup , switched off , switched on , turned on fast startup , switched off , switched on
5. Cleaned up Windows/Temp and Temp folder under my profile
6. Performed Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment

I noticed that after the HP boot screen comes with the white spinning circle , another black screen appears with the same spinning circle but with a slower animation .
I used to notice this screen if there was a BSOD or some windows update .

In the event viewer I had created custom views , one for event id 100 and the other from 101-110 . There I noticed the following :

• 1. This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
    File Name : Window
    Friendly Name :
    Version :
    Total Time : 9407ms
    Degradation Time : 6907ms
    Task Category : Boot Performance Monitoring
    User : LOCAL SERVICE
    Event ID : 101
    Level : Warning

2. This startup service took longer than expected to startup, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
    File Name : eventlog
    Friendly Name :
    Version :
    Total Time : 1846ms
    Degradation Time : 771ms
    Event ID : 103
    Level : Warning

3.Windows has started up:
    Boot Duration : 156067ms
    IsDegradation : false
    Event ID : 100
    Level : Critical

So , what can I do to get the boot times back to normal .
Once the laptop has booted correctly , it operates well as usual .

Thanks ,
Souvik

Solution
Memory is guaranteed in the form it is sold.

Matching up identical part numbers carry no guarantee to be compatible together.

Buying single modules are only guaranteed when used as singles and carry no guarantees as to if they will work together.

Ralston18

Titan
What make, model, and specs are the original RAM modules. Same question for the new RAM modules.

Verify that the new RAM modules are a correct match to your laptop.

First remove the new RAM and return to the original RAM configuration. Ensure that all remains well with your laptop.

Second what RAM configuration changes did you make? E.g,, replace two 2GB modules with two 4 GB modules? Or perhaps add one 4 GB RAM module to an existing single 4 GB RAM module.

If possible try the new modules just on their own/by themselves.

Run the manufacturer's memory diagnostic software or a third party app - verify that the RAM modules are not faulty in some manner.

souvikray123

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
The old module is a Kingston DDR3L 1600MHz 11-11-11-28 latency RAM .
The new one is also a Kingston DDR3L 1600MHz 11-11-11-28 latency RAM .

I removed the new RAM and booted it up , it booted normally .

I checked the details in Speccy . The frequency , CAS# Latency , RAS# To CAS# , RAS# Precharge , tRAS , tRC and voltage of the individual JEDECs are a match between the two RAM modules .

The old RAM module is from 2015 , but the new one is from 2013 . I am not sure if it will make a difference since the specs match .

Memory is guaranteed in the form it is sold.

Matching up identical part numbers carry no guarantee to be compatible together.

Buying single modules are only guaranteed when used as singles and carry no guarantees as to if they will work together.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.