Profile choice when using hardware calibration

Feb 15, 2018
I've got a BENQ SW271 and it's very nice! It calibrated nicely with my i1Display Pro. I set up all three calibrations for different proofing purposes. And it validated back with minimal Delta E errors, so all should be well.

But there does not seem to be anything in the Palette Master element manual about which color profile to use when using hardware calibration (internal 3D LUT). As soon as OSX found the monitor it decided to assign it a profile called "BENQ SW271". After calibrating for Adobe RGB there's an additional color profile named for Adobe RGB in the OSX folders. But this seems redundant and strange to me... I would think that when using different hardware calibrations with the monitor's internal LUT, that the operating system should apply just one, consistent "neutral" profile.

Obviously when Palette Master Element is performing calibration the RGB values are sent directly to the screen without going through the OS. But I would think AFTER calibration, once the lookup table has been populated, the OS should also be going directly to the monitor either through "no profile" or some kind of "neutral" profile if there is such a thing.

I did confirm that there is a gigantic color error if I try to validate with the wrong hardware calibration or if I choose a crazy profile in System Preferences. But this only confirms that there has to be a CORRECT system profile to use in conjunction with the hardware. What profile should we use?

Puzzled I am, yes. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Feb 15, 2018
To help bump this I'll summarize: OSX. Is it possible for the computer to use a single color profile when the monitor itself has a switchable color profile. For example, I switch the BENQ over to a profile for use with rec.709 video and later on I switch it for photography use with Adobe RGB. Is there a single computer profile I can use?

Reactions: Marko lait
Mar 4, 2019
To help bump this I'll summarize: OSX. Is it possible for the computer to use a single color profile when the monitor itself has a switchable color profile. For example, I switch the BENQ over to a profile for use with rec.709 video and later on I switch it for photography use with Adobe RGB. Is there a single computer profile I can use?
Hey, did you already find a solution? I am having the same issue and wrote benq today. Hoping to get an answer soon.