HELP BSOD ntoskrnl.exe issue

Feb 16, 2018
Hi I keep getting blue screen on start up every morning when I turn on my computer but it only happens once a day. Here is the crash report from whocrashed.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021618-7734-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x175430)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF802C37BD199, 0xFFFFA48D84116D10, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2/16/2018 3:34:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021618-8625-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFF8D8AC6BD8FD0, 0xFFFF8D8AC6BD8E11, 0x49C030, 0x32)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2/16/2018 3:34:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (NTFS+0x26FEF)
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFF8D8AC6BD8FD0, 0xFFFF8D8AC6BD8E11, 0x49C030, 0x32)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Thu 2/15/2018 10:51:54 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021618-7734-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF802C37BD199, 0xFFFFA48D84116D10, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Solution
Have you updated your other drivers? Go into Device Manager, click the arrows so it expands and check for exclamation marks (!) next to them. If there are any, right click and update them. It could be something so simple as a bus controller or device not being up to date. Update your other drivers for other software you may have. Uninstall the ones you don't want/use.

Are you running overclocks by any chance? If so, reduce your overclock and voltage. Run command prompt as admin and run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r for your drives. Make a bootable USB of memtest86 and run 4-6 passes and test for faulty RAM. Check your event viewer for any WHEA errors around the time of the BSOD and in general. Run windows repair. Ask a cat to perform some...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now if only windows didn't need that file, so many errors would be solved. who crashed is right, it is what crashed... it just doesn't explain why.

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. Without it running, windows cannot operate.

can you go to c:\windows\minidump and copy all the minidump files to documents folder
upload the copies from documents to a file sharing site and share a link here, and I will get someone to look at them. :)

Feb 16, 2018

Hi there thanks for looking into this. Here are the links for the dmp files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mhcDUnTo672gFyRE4JeTFOWizzvmh7ir
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jah_SksDGMsksuOW2sViAXbIxZ7czhzg

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
How odd, I've just googled this problem as I just had the exact same issue -ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x175430)- though it was more commonplace before putting together my new build.

This happened this morning for the second time since my new build and reading up on it someone suggested it "could" be a PSU issue. However, it could also be an idling USB issue too. So I've gone into advanced settings on my power options and changed the USB selective suspend setting to 'disabled' in the hope that this might resolve the issue. I can't find a lot more on it, hopefully someone can shed some light.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/ft8L.html

File: 021618-7734-01.dmp (Feb 16 2018 - 00:51:54)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
gardenman: Many of symbol errors
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

File: 021618-8625-01.dmp (Feb 16 2018 - 17:34:15)
BugCheck: [SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION (C1)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
gardenman: Many of symbol errors
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-A-PRO.html
You have the latest BIOS installed, version 1.4.

I had trouble with the dump files, there were multiple symbol errors in them or my debugger just didn't like them. However, I did get some useful information from them.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you run MSI live update 6 on the PC? The info in dumps isn't showing any motherboard drivers, apart from intel management engine interface and the realtek drivers

You can find Live update 6 on this link, in the utilities section: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064

its an odd dump, it mentions hibernate file which is part of windows, so my guess is the driver responsible doesn't like the new startup in win 10. A short term solution would be to turn off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - but you shouldn't need to do that on a Z270 boarrd,

Feb 16, 2018

I'll give all that a go and see if it helps. Thanks to everyone trying.

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Have you updated your other drivers? Go into Device Manager, click the arrows so it expands and check for exclamation marks (!) next to them. If there are any, right click and update them. It could be something so simple as a bus controller or device not being up to date. Update your other drivers for other software you may have. Uninstall the ones you don't want/use.

Are you running overclocks by any chance? If so, reduce your overclock and voltage. Run command prompt as admin and run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r for your drives. Make a bootable USB of memtest86 and run 4-6 passes and test for faulty RAM. Check your event viewer for any WHEA errors around the time of the BSOD and in general. Run windows repair. Ask a cat to perform some black magic on it. You'll have to take on a multi-pronged approach to this unless someone Supermans in here with an answer.

If all else fails, ye old faithful reinstall might do the trick. But after the reinstall keep tabs on what software you're installing and make sure to update them. Create restore points for every group of say 3 or 4, depending on how much software you install.

By proxy of curiosity, what are you specs including overclocks?

Solution
Feb 23, 2018
~3 1/2 year old Asus laptop, Windows 8.1, Intel processor and graphics.

I believe that I'm have the same problem. It started a few days ago with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and is now SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION. Each time fltmgr.sys and ntoskrnl.exe are named by BlueScreenView. According to my research, the display driver(s) could be the cause so I've updated what I could the issue persists. Runs fine in safe mode but when it boots normally it eventually crashes. It can sit idle for hours but if I use it long enough it crashes. Awhile back I had a few BSODs with irql_not_less_or_equal but that stopped. Countless SFC and CHKDSK run have come up empty. Tried to roll back to a restore point but it failed. The restore point was before a Windows Update 2 weeks so maybe that's the cause? The aforementioned drivers are dated about a week earlier so maybe they're flawed? Some sources said a faulty RAM sick could be to blame so I'm tempted to replace them but WhoCrashed says "typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem."