Slow startup / shutdown on SSD Windows 10

Umbrella

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
As title suggests a few months back i released my windows was starting and shutting down a lot slower than it used to and now its to the point where its a minute or 2 sometimes, can anyone help?

I haven't changed anything, it could be to do with Windows CU update but i cant remember, it was lightning fast about a year ago, i have fast startup disabled due to problems that causes elsewhere.

SSD INFO: INTEL SSDSC2BW180A3

Capacity 167.68 GB

Firmware Version 400i

Serial Number CVCV312605UB180EGN

Driver Provider Microsoft

Driver Version 10.0.16299.192

Driver Date 6/21/2006

Device Id SCSI\DISK&VEN_INTEL&PROD_SSDSC2BW180A3\4&396B641E&0&000000

File System NTFS

Compressed False

Capacity 166.70 GB

Free Space 31.22 GB

Are you sure you have TRIM enabled? Unlike HDDs and RAM, flash drives cannot overwrite a 0 with a 1, or a 1 with a 0. It must first erase the cell before it can write new data to it. That erase step is very slow, in some cases slower than a HDD. As a result, SSDs are programmed to pre-erase sectors that it knows are empty (have had the data deleted). TRIM is how the OS tells the SSD which sectors have been deleted and are safe to erase.

Newer SSDs are programmed to recognize filesystems so aren't as dependent on TRIM. But older drives like this one (based on the model number it's an Intel 520 circa 2012) may need TRIM to know which sectors are safe to erase. If TRIM is not enabled, it can't erase a sector until it's instructed to write to that sector. Consequently once the drive has run out of pre-erased sectors, it needs to erase them on the fly whenever a new write command comes through, and its speed plummets to as slow as or slower than a HDD.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance

Edit: Also, fast startup is pretty useless on a SSD. Instead of shutting down the computer it does a quasi-hibernate, dumping memory into the hibernate file. HDDs are much faster at reading a single sequential file than lots of small files, so reading the hibernate file back into memory is a lot faster than booting up. But SSDs are much faster at reading small files so this quasi-hibernate actually slows down the shutdown process, while not speeding up bootup significantly. You were right to disable it.

Umbrella

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Trim was enabled thanks for the suggestion though, you don't think it could be driver related do you?

Anything I should look out for in device manager?

Also set to AHCI if that helps at all.