Trade 1060 6GB for 980 Ti Hybrid??

Feb 16, 2018
I'm currently using GTX 1060 6GB, would it be worth it to trade it for a second-hand 980 Ti Hybrid (watercooled from Inno3D) in 2018?? I'll be adding another ~$89 for the card only since I don't think I need to up my CM V650W PSU.

The 980 Ti is higher than the 1060 in terms of GPU performance according to Tom's. However, you would be getting a card that could be close to 3 years old & possibly much abused. So if you do the trade, make sure you understand the risks you're taking as well.

Feb 16, 2018

Yes, I am well aware that it's an almost 3 years old card. The owner of the card says that apparently he only used that card only for online gaming (idk what games). Assuming that is true, would the trade worth it? Or should I like skip and see what 20-series brings (along with the unpredictable prices)?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 980 ti = gtx 1070

so yes quite a step up

If you are willing to give up on warranty and not wait for the next gen of gpu's comming

Feb 16, 2018

Is there any exclusive 10-series features I'll miss?? Netflix 4K doesn't work for me as I don't have the monitor, so that one is fine.

What about the fact that it's a watercooled version card? Should I be worried about leakage from aging?

I wouldn't do it. You are essentially upgrading from the 1060 to the 1070. Oh.... + another ~$89. Nope. You're losing some features such as Nvidia's Boost 3.0. The 1060 has an advantage there. Boost 2.0 isn't as good.You are possibly getting a cooler GPU which may help performance a wee bit. My gut says no but it isn't a bad deal, hopefully. If my card dies I immediately troubleshoot and then call EVGA if I can't find a solution. They run me through their troubleshooting steps and if they still can't help I get a RMA for the card and within about a week I am back to gaming the way it is meant to be played. If I go backwards and trade my card for a faster one I can't do anything if it fails. I would be stuck with a very expensive paperweight. No thanks.

Feb 16, 2018

Hmm... you're right. I should make sure that the card is still in good condition and should ask for reasons he's selling.

Feb 16, 2018

Basically, don't buy any card without warranty??

If I am considering a GTX 550 I don't mind not having a warranty. When there is $400+ on the line I need a certain amount of security.

I also am not a fan of a backwards upgrade. More performance but less features and or outdated versions.

Feb 16, 2018

You make a good point. Thanks for the advice!