Mobile AthlonXP, what´s the deal?

Thylboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Okay, I´ve been looking around for a new SocketA CPU for my VIA KM266 motherboard. I need a CPU which is faster than my current T-Bird 1.3GHz, BUT: It also needs to be a lot cooler!

So, an interesting choice appears to be the Mobile Athlon XP at 1.6 or 1.5GHz. My current CPU apparently produces around 70W and the Mobile XP is supposed to produce 35W or 45W depending on which model you buy. Meanwhile, a 1.6GHz Mobile XP is supposed to be as fast as a normal AthlonXP 2000+ right?

Now, I´ve seen some posts saying the Mobile XP, although claiming to use SocketA, is not actually compatible with SocketA motherboards. Has anyone actually tried this or knows for a fact that this is true?

//Thylboy

Thylboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Oh come on!

Here at the heart of hardware heaven, Tom´s Hardware Guide, someone must know something about this processor!? I can hardly be the first person to consider this option in order to avoid heat build-up inside a computer case, can I?

//Thylboy

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Dude...im pretty sure theres more than 1 version of Socket A......

theres regular Socket A...for desktops etc...than theres Micro Socket A......same as the desktop version but in a smaller packaging......tinny socket....tinny chip....but technically there the same...so unless u can find a regualr socket A to micro socket A adapter.....im pretty sure ur out of luck...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Thylboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Okay, that´s possible... However, when a computer store sells "AMD Mobile AthlonXP SocketA" with pictures that sure looks a lot like the ordinary AXP (probably is) and no mention of any difference in the socket it sounds to me like the "normal" socketA, don´t you think?

//Thylboy

eden

Champion
IIRC, the packaging for Mobile is different, and the chip is physically smaller, thus it cannot fit in traditional Socket A.

--
The THGC Photo Album project,<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">CLICK HERE!</A>