Graphics card fried while it's power was unplugged. Could PCI mobo slot be bad?

TroyJustin

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Last night I fell asleep with my PC running and when I woke up this morning my computer was off. I know for sure it was not set to shut itself down I sometimes turn that option off if I'm letting a program run and I step away for a few hours. Prior to last night/this morning I noticed no issues at all.

When I went to turn on the PC this morning nothing happened. I saw that there was some power to the motherboard because it has an onboard switch with a light. I also have a Corsair h100i v2 cooler that would kick on for a split second with its light flashing and then nothing. I started unplugging and removing things to start testing. I first removed the RAM and nothing happened. I then unplugged the PCI-E cables from the graphics card but did not remove the card from the motherboard. This was probably a mistake on my part but I'll live with it. When I turned on the power to the PC it fired up like it normally would and then poof.... there was a spark on top of my graphics card, a small flame, and that was all she wrote.

I've been using the PC for about 45 minutes now with the onboard graphics and no issues.

I have a spare older graphics card laying around to use till I can get a new one but I'm wondering if I should at all be concerned if that PCI Express slot on the motherboard added to the issue or if the GPU was just the problem the entire time?