PC launching all previous programs at startup

Feb 18, 2018
When my PC starts, it launches any programs that were opened before shutting down the PC. This includes specific websites that were opened on chrome and such. I'm not sure whether this is a feature or a bug or anything else, but it significantly increases my start up time. I would like my PC to not start any programs on start up, except for the programs that I have enabled for start up via task manager.
Not sure if this is relevant but I also recently fixed another start up problem: my PC would automatically restart after I shut it down (and launch all the previously opened programs). This was fixed by turning off Fast Start-Up. I also made sure that the "When I press the powerbutton:" settings are turned to "Shut Down".

Solution
Hello.
Check out this article, it might help you. Let us know how it went.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/25/block-reopening-of-programs-on-windows-10-start/
Feb 18, 2018

Thank you! I used the article to create a shortcut on my desktop that functions as a "real" shut down, with the "shutdown /r /t 0" command. Not really the solution I was hoping for but it works. Thanks!

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I have win 10 and it doesn't do that for me. I have Cortana disabled, perhaps she is "remembering" what you were doing before? Look in the article, a little scroll down there is an option in Cortana "Pick up where I left off", perhaps it needs to be turned off? I have limited knowledge of Cortana, she has been killed on my PC. :)