Should I sell my graphics card right now?

Feb 18, 2018
So I wanted some input on whether I should sell my GTX 1060 3GB that I bought at the beginning of last year as the GPU prices are outrageous at the moment. Just want some advice as if I were to do this it could be a potential risk as if I want to use the money to buy a better card, the prices may not fall in a while.
[EDIT]
I actually have a backup card. A GTX 560. It's not great but if I were to go through with selling my 1060 at least it's better than nothing.

jake.g.kirby

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
The way i see it bitcoin has already spiked and is going down just as fast as it came up. If you could wait a couple of months after selling this might well pay off for you. Nvidia Volta cards are meant to come out mid 2018 so its probably worth waiting until that series comes out in my opinion before buying a new one

What do you intend to do without a graphics card for a few months (if not more), use the integrated graphics? I'm sure in the long term prices will fall, but it's still anyone's guess as to when that might be.

I'm not sure I get the logic here. You want to sell your card because prices are high for videocards so you will get a lot of money. Okay but then you have no videocard and want a better card but prices are very high.

This only makes sense if you don't need a videocard and won't need one for a long time, or you have a cheap one laying around that you can use, or you can buy a cheap one to use for now. The fact you bought a 1060 tells me you do actually need a good videocard, unless you're giving up gaming for awhile...a long while.

I was in a similar boat. I had a 480 8gb that I bought last year for around 250. We moved to a house from an apartment and I need to buy a lawn mower. I sold the 480 on eBay for 365 dollars US, plus 15 shipping.

With what I had left I bought a GTX 1050 ti and still have cash in PayPal to use for the mower. But I got a steal on the 1050ti, at 209 dollars from newegg. Just ordered yesterday so waiting on it to ship. I think cards like yours were only going for about 275, as I was researching every card I could think of as a replacement on a budget. So in your situation you may not wish to sell.

If you do sell, what I would do is ship it USPS priority, with insurance. Also I would require signature confirmation upon delivery.

Those things are what I did and it worked out. My new card should be in next week. That said though, I was a bit nervous to be honest. In your case I would not sell unless you've got a specific way forward or other need. For me, the 1050ti might be a 1 or 2 year card if that. I usually get money for Christmas time, depending how demanding games are, I may upgrade then. Not sure.