Looking for Computer $1200 Budget Pre-built or my first build

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018
Hello friends,

I am looking to do my first ever build, or even just buy a new pre-built system if I can find one that suits my needs. My computer is getting old and is mid-tier at best. I am looking to start streaming my gameplay from games such as Fortnite, CSGO, and shadowrun. I'd like to get a computer that suits those games comfortably! Please take a look at the following and help me out!

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime

Budget Range: $1100-$1300, After Rebates and Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: The ability to upgrade in the future is important to me, Streaming / Gaming / Surfing / Movies

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I would like to have the newest gen of Motherboard so I can upgrade my computer in the future if I find a bigger budget.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com However, I've never purchased parts before... I am open to suggestions.

Parts Preferences: I really don't have an opinion but I always hear good things about Nvidia and Intel. I wouldn't mind AMD but I have more knowledge of what is "good" from Intel/Nvidia.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what this is.

Your Monitor: ASUS VG8QE / https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-24-led-fhd-monitor-black/8767099.p?skuId=8767099&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=988f5c21-ca03-4e2e-9694-48a6f28bde3b&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg200209&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

Additional Comments: Preferably quiet and easy to clean, I'd like to have a blue color scheme if possible but performance heavily outweighs any form of cosmetics.

Some PC's I have looked at and would like opinions on are:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759917.p?skuId=5759917&ref=212&loc=DWA&ksid=988f5c21-ca03-4e2e-9694-48a6f28bde3b&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg269395&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_fmgYax2QIVCbbACh0ebAbKEAQYAiABEgINL_D_BwE

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have the budget to do so and my current computer is 6 years old or so. I would enjoy being able to stream my gameplay as I have been told it is enjoyable to watch.

Edit: After browsing the forums, it has come to my attention that there will be a new gen (GPU only?) released in about 3-4 months. Would it be better to wait and build/buy a computer then? Will the costs dramatically change? I'd like to have a new computer sooner, maybe within a month? But if it really helps I can wait the 4 months.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

I appreciate the feedback <3

Only thing I don't like about those i7 systems is that those i7's are last generation. As far as AMD, they've been around since the 70s. Personally I've been using their products since I was a kid. So about 20 years.

I think I'd about the iBuyPower system and roll with either the Dell or the HP. The HP you showed is decent. Probably best bang for the buck. Both Intel systems have a stronger graphics card than the Dell. The processor is a toss up. The Intel processors will do single thread performance better, which is usually more important for gaming, but the and processor will still game pretty well, and will multitask better. Depends on your needs and budget. For the money I'd be tempted by the HP myself.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! Since I will be multi-tasking (streaming and gaming) would you still take the HP? Also, those 3 were just PC's I found today. Do you know of any other great deals around that $1200 price range? I also don't mind building my PC but it would be my first time building a PC and I hear that prices of pre-built and building your own are relatively the same at the moment.

What I personally would recommend. Do you have a Microcenter store near you? If you do, I would pay them a visit. They have a lot of different systems. In fact, if memory serves, you can even buy parts from them, and pay like 250, and I think they will assemble it for you if you like. Their guys are usually very knowledgeable.

However, if you will be streaming as well as gaming, then I like the Dell better. The graphics card isn't as good as the other 2, but still pretty decent. The thing it has over the other 2, the ryzen is an 8 core chip with smt, so basically it will act like a 16 core chip. When you are gaming, streaming etc it should handle those tasks easier at the same time.

The RX 580 graphics card is on the same level as a GTX 1060. For 1080p gaming you'll pretty much play most things on max. But you may have to start turning down some settings at 1440p and above.

Hey Hellfire13! I've been browsing some of the forums and I've seen your input a few times. I was hoping you could take a look at my post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3646659/computer-1...

I'd really appreciate your advice, from what I have seen it is some of the best on the forum. I've listed as much information as I can on the post! Hope you can find the time!

Joining in on user request on pm.

Edit: After browsing the forums, it has come to my attention that there will be a new gen (GPU only?) released in about 3-4 months. Would it be better to wait and build/buy a computer then? Will the costs dramatically change? I'd like to have a new computer sooner, maybe within a month? But if it really helps I can wait the 4 months.

If you are not in a hurry, right now the market is pretty terrible to be building your own machine. For $1300 I would list a build below. If you can get anything better than this in prebuilds, you should definitely grab it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($166.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card ($739.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1321.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-19 17:24 EST-0500

You see, you will be paying double for that GPU at its current price, but if you go lower(1060), that 1440hz screen might struggle in some games.

It might be a better idea to hold on to that purchase for now. It is not guranteed, but prices might stabilize a bit in a couple of months. Also you will have more options in terms of motherboard and GPU.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

Thank you so much for getting back to me!
Will that $1321.82 price tag continue to go up with OS? I didn't see it in there. Also, would you recommend I buy most of these parts right now and maybe wait on GPU if I decide to build my pc? Or wait for all parts and purchase them all at the same time?

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

I agree, thanks!

Will that $1321.82 price tag continue to go up with OS? I didn't see it in there.

You can purchase a key from Microsoft and activate Windows down the line. There should no difference in performance... https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Also if prices go down later on, you can accommodate better parts with the saved cash. So its better to purchase all at the same time.

Either get this DELL ALIENWARE AURORA
TEMP.jpg

or

Get build without GPU for now and add GPU in future when prices go down or eve better if new lineup launches you can get that.

In fact, stop questioning and buy the Dell in my opinion. The price of 1321 above does not include the extra 1 tb storage drive, so add at least 30 or 40 to the total. Then add another 100 bucks for Windows. So the price on the build becomes like 1450 or so. Much as I like building my own, that Dell is a hard one to shake a stick at. I suppose you could even attempt to replace the power supply if that were a concern.

Yes at this point DELL is providing most reasonably priced prebuilt PCs in the market especially Alienware series. And it also comes packed with high quality components. I live in India and all the DELL desktops I have seen here come with Delta PSUs which are of high quality unlike PSUs provided by others(Most probably even in US versions DELL uses Delta PSUs).

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

Thank you so much for that find! With everyone agreeing for me, I am definitely interested in buying that PC right now. I went to Dell's website and tried to build that pc with the specs you listed but I can't get the price as low as yours? I matched the specs so I am not sure what the difference is... Is it possible for you to link me that specific build? Thanks again please get in touch ASAP even through PM :)

You missed the offer that $1329 model was available for $1129($200 Total Saving). There is a possibility of it going down again(not sure). You are few hours late. Wait for a day or two and continuously follow their site for offers.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

I will do my best to check it as frequently as possible. Was the build you posted a prebuilt or did you customize a certain build? I know they have some prebuilt options that were close but i always had to tweak a component. Thanks!

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018
I have been checking their site constantly, both the alienware and inspiron... With the president sale, there's a pc for $1518 that has a gtx 1070 and a i7-8700. Im really pushing my budget but i dont think i'd mind financing and just saving the cash. Please let me know if the $1500 is worth it or if i should continue to wait. The deal ends tonight i believe :) http://deals.dell.com/mpp/productdetail/x7s