Which 144hz display should I buy in 2018?

Gleb_Kalashnikov

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Benq XL2430 or Asus PG248Q? I'm deciding between these 2 currently. I read quite a few comparison threads on both of these monitors. It seems like more people prefer the Asus, but the XL2430 has better colours. I'm still not sure which to buy since I've found that both monitors have issues. Essentially what I'm personally looking for here is a monitor with the better picture and general quality. I do have an Nvidia GPU (970m) which will allow me to use GSYNC on the Asus.

Another monitor I was considering is the LG 24GM79G-B, but it seems to be generally lower quality than the previous 2 mentioned. If it's not, please tell me guys!

Prices of these monitors in my country:
Asus - $640
Benq - $520
LG - $405

So, please help me choose. If you have any of these monitors, please highlight what you like and don't like. Thank You!

Solution
You can look up the input lag measurements on this site: https://displaylag.com/display-database/
Yes some VA panels have problems with that even ghosting, but colour accuracy and contrast are better and the latter results in less eye strain during longer gaming sessions.

Gleb_Kalashnikov

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Alright, well let's say the Asus is out of the question. Does the XL430 have a $115 advantage over the LG display?

Tough to say. I feel like yes, if you are open to moving away from laptop to desktop. I mean really...do you need to take your computer outside?

Gleb_Kalashnikov

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

I'm planning to get a desktop in February of next year and I decided to buy a good monitor and a keyboard earlier. This is why I'm looking into these (I would say) top end 144hz displays. I don't need 1440p as I personally have a 2880x1620 display on my current laptop and I don't really don't mind using it at 1080p at all. As well as that, my laptop is strong enough to handle 1080p 144hz but not 1440p 144hz and I really would rather have 144hz over higher resolution. If anything, when I will be building my desktop next year, I will throw in another display which will be 1440p.

So, now that I'm assuming you understood my situation, would you say I should get the Benq XL2430 or settle for maybe a different 144hz display (if you could recommend one)?

Thank You!

Gleb_Kalashnikov

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Upwards of $700. I'm really not willing to spend that much on a monitor I can't properly use for another year.

I suggest seeing it as an investment. It can last you many years. And 4k is still far off from the gaming community, other than the 1%.

With that said, I hope someone else chimes in on the topic. I'm leaning towards BenQ cuz you know you will switch in a year. And save some money for now.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
You can look up the input lag measurements on this site: https://displaylag.com/display-database/
Yes some VA panels have problems with that even ghosting, but colour accuracy and contrast are better and the latter results in less eye strain during longer gaming sessions.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS