New Builder: Audio Drama Editing/Gaming

Feb 19, 2018
WHY I AM BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER: I have an audio drama podcast. I use Adobe Audition. I need to record, edit, and sound design for episodes that are 30 to 50 mins in length. A session file can have anywhere from 15 to 30 tracks. I can have 30 to 70 separate sound files in a session file. This includes multiple voice tracks, SFX, music. Doing a lot of processing and effects.

I also write, record, edit and mix my own music for the podcast.

But this also needs to be able to play video games, as I cannot afford two computers. I don't play esports games, I play big RPGs like Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.

My budget isn't huge, but the best of what I can get for that range would be great.

My current computer is old. The case is physically falling apart. It is sluggish. New games don't run very well, etc. Current system info is at the end of this post.

Build Experience: Very little. I've replaced PSUs and Video Cards multiple times. Replaced a motherboard once. I swore a lot.

Approximate Purchase Date: Will be purchasing piece by piece as I can afford it.

Budget Range: $1000 CAD. That's currently $795.83 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Audio Recording, Editing and Mixing; Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: EVERYTHING save PSU. Currently have an Antec EA-750 80 Bronze

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere that has a Canadian site so I don't have to pay duty. I've used NCIX and Newegg.ca in the past.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not necessary

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: The quieter the better since I'll be recording.

Current System Information

Motherboard: MS-7721
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Storage: Me no know. I have all of 500 gigs and it is HDD.
Case: Haf 932 (it is literally falling apart. It is 11 years old)
PSU: Antec 750-EA

Can you give your parts list like this:
CPU:
RAM:
GPU:
Storage:
Case:
PSU:

Much easier to make out the details.

The work sounds CPU intensive, consider Ryzen:
PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gCr329
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gCr329/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.10 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($110.99 @ PC-Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB OCV1 Video Card ($404.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $990.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-19 11:20 EST-0500

You can reuse your Drive which has the OS. If it is a HDD, buy an SSD and transfer the OS there and keep the HDD for mass storage.

Reuse your current Case and PSU, although I would change the PSU just because there are better quality units out there.

Feb 19, 2018
Thanks. I edited my post as per your request.

I'll need a new case. This one is literally falling apart. USB ports have fallen off, the feet are falling off. The CD drive fell right out.

Okay, consider these then:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HTrzKB
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HTrzKB/by_merchant/

Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $186.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-19 17:11 EST-0500

SSD and HDD for storage. SSD for boot. For the OS, download the ISO off the Microsoft page but do not activate it to save some money if you do not mind an unactivated OS.

If you can invest in these parts, you should be good to go.

Points to note:
Prices for GPU and RAM right now are retardedly high and buying anything now concerning them is a waste.

New GPU releases are around the corner, so consider that within 2 or 3 months there will be a new GPU line. The 1060 is still quite powerful however.

Feb 19, 2018
Thank you! I will look into all of these. The last time I chose parts to build a computer (and when I say build, I mean I bought the parts and had someone else put it all together), was 11 years ago. Things have changed since then and I was getting a bit overwhelmed.

As for waiting until the new GPU to be released. That's a good idea. Not 'cos I want to get one of the new ones, but because the price of the old ones will go down. :)