New computer making slight grinding noise. Normal?

RTY12

Reputable
May 10, 2014
I recently bought a new desktop running Windows 10. The last few days the computer was, I think, silent when I was using it. Today I noticed a light grinding noise that happens when I do things on the computer such as surfing the internet, opening up webpages, etc.. Is this noise normal? It's a very slight noise but in a quiet room it is very noticeable at least 3 feet (1 meter) away.

RTY12

Reputable
May 10, 2014

It is a an i3 7100 CPU 3.90 GHz 3.91 GHz. Does that help?

That is your processor. But it is okay. Like Mason said, check your Fans in the PC. Maybe one has gone misaligned.

I suspect the HDD could be making noise, as this happened to me before, but better to check out the fans first just in case it is an easy fix.

RTY12

Reputable
May 10, 2014

I do not know much about computers and was afraid to take the cover off (and then can't get it on if I have to ship it back) but for the last half an hour I have been surfing the internet and the computer is perfectly silent. No grinding at all. What does this tell you?

RTY12

Reputable
May 10, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from RTY12 : "New computer - sounds normal?"

I just got a new computer. I had some error messages and it wouldn't install updates but that went away on it's own. What is happening now is when I surf the internet, open or close webpages, etc. I hear a slight grinding-of-the-gears like sound that lasts for a few seconds, stops, starts etc.. This happened yesterday but then at night I was using the computer and there was absolutely none of that sound. Today the sound is back again. It's not loud but noticeable in a quiet room about 3 feet away.

I do not know much about computers and do not want to open it up to check inside. The manufacturer says I can return it but that will be a hassle, especially if I can't get the cover back on (which I could not on my last computer). My question is: Is the noise I'm hearing normal?

Caleb Hale

Distinguished
May 17, 2013
Grinding noises aren't normal.
It could be as easy as a case fan wire touching the fan blades as it spins. Somebody is going to have to take the cover off to find out what's causing it.