Help - Want to Create Shortcut to Switch Main Monitor and Default Sound Device

Feb 20, 2018
Hi all - as the title lays it out, I was wondering if there was any easy way of creating a macro or shortcut key that could simultaneously (A) change my main monitor, and (B) change the default sound device.

I have a two monitors and a TV connected to my computer, and I play games/watch movies either on the first screen or the TV. While it's not a huge hassle switching the main monitor and default sound device every time I want to put something on the TV, it would be nice to automate this/handle it in as few clicks as possible. Ideally, I'd create one shortcut for the TV, and one for the first monitor, along with their respective sound devices. Thanks!

Solution
Hi, you might be able to use [NirCmd]. You would have to figure out the switches for the command line and create a batch file and create a shortcut to the batch file, but it should be do-able.

[Instructions]. Do a "find" on the page and search for "setdefaultsounddevice" and "setprimarydisplay".

I'm not sure of your computer skills (have you ever created a batch file?), but here is an example batch file:

@echo off
nircmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Line In"
nircmd.exe setprimarydisplay 2

This would need to be modified before you can use it. I haven't tested this at all, it's up to you to figure out the commands and try it out. Read up on the instructions (link above).

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, you might be able to use [NirCmd]. You would have to figure out the switches for the command line and create a batch file and create a shortcut to the batch file, but it should be do-able.

[Instructions]. Do a "find" on the page and search for "setdefaultsounddevice" and "setprimarydisplay".

I'm not sure of your computer skills (have you ever created a batch file?), but here is an example batch file:

@echo off
nircmd.exe setdefaultsounddevice "Line In"
nircmd.exe setprimarydisplay 2

This would need to be modified before you can use it. I haven't tested this at all, it's up to you to figure out the commands and try it out. Read up on the instructions (link above).

Solution