Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Hey,

Current PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 1200
GTX 1050ti
8GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM

(My PC is only 6 months old)
I was thinking of getting Ryzen 2nd Gen when it launches, but then I thought well maybe I should get a new GPU, instead of the new CPU, because it will give me more fps in games.

So should I get a GTX 970 or GTX 1060 or should I get the Ryzen 2nd Gen?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A 970 or GTX 1060 is about 40% faster than a 1050ti... That's a big increase.

As for the 1200 wait for the refresh chips "April" to come out that will be about 10%+ faster "Stock". Some of the engineering samples i've seen have Turbos up to 4.2ghz that should show potential for possibly much high Overclocks.

A graphics card upgrade would likely provide much more benefit for gaming. However, due to shortages caused in part by cryptocurrency mining, any graphics card that would be worth upgrading to right now will be priced a lot higher than retail. Therefore, I would hold off for the time being, until graphics card prices work their way back down. Plus, the GTX 1060 has been out for over a year and a half already, and a new generation of cards will most likely be launching by summer.

As for your CPU, a Ryzen 1200 should still be a rather capable processor, especially when overclocked. Overclocking might be worth looking into if you haven't done so already, as the 1200 can be clocked quite a bit higher than its stock clocks, even on its bundled cooler. An overclock probably won't give you a huge performance boost in games, but it could help reduce slowdowns.

rolzpolz619

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

Hey,
Thanks for the reply, but I did something stupid and bought a A320M MOBO which does not support overclocking. So I can't overclock.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

You might get SOME benefit in upgrading to a GTX 1060 6GB, but, honestly, at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, I don't really think it's worth it. The 1050Ti should have you covered at medium settings for the most part. At 60Hz, your monitor can't display more than 60 fps without tearing.

The CPU is also plenty capable for that level.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Not the end of the world just wait for CPU's with turbos above 4ghz "Zen2" those will be a decent upgrade.