can you use the Media Creation tool to 'create' Windows 10?

Feb 20, 2018
Greetings -

My friend claims that he has used the Media Creation tool to 'create' Windows 10 out of thin air.

Specifically, he says he has used it to install Windows 10 on a blank, unused drive, then successfully used that drive to operate his PC.

In other words, he did not 'update' Windows 7, but rather, simply downloaded Windows 10.

He also said it updates itself, and operates just as it should.

Is this possible?

It seems unlikely that Microsoft would allow a free installation.

thanks

jackson

Solution
Yes, you can create new Win 10 install media "out of thin air" (or rather, via download from MS servers) using the media creation tool. When using said media to install Windows, it will ask you for your product key during installation but you are able to skip through the key check. After installation I think Windows will bug you about activation, but I don't think anything really happens if you don't (other than maybe a few basic convenience/cosmetic features being turned off).
with windows 10 now you get a digital key that linked to your mb. as long as he updated to windows 10 when it was free there would have been a windows 10 key for that pc. if you have windows 7. contact microsoft for your free upgrade before you use the tool. windows 10 now will not lock you out or shut down in 30 days if you dont have a license key now. the bean counters at ms found out from apple and amazon you make more money in a online store per hour then you do selling your os.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can create new Win 10 install media "out of thin air" (or rather, via download from MS servers) using the media creation tool. When using said media to install Windows, it will ask you for your product key during installation but you are able to skip through the key check. After installation I think Windows will bug you about activation, but I don't think anything really happens if you don't (other than maybe a few basic convenience/cosmetic features being turned off).

Solution
Feb 20, 2018

Thanks!