Help me pick the right displayport cable and monitor question

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
My monitor: Asus vg248qe

Ok I'm wanting to move on from DVI dual link to a nice display port cable. There are just so many options I need to know which one to choose. Would prefer someone who actually has the cable they suggest or really knows about it. HAS TO BE 144hz compliant and possibly gold plated? Not sure if gold plating matters but let me know what you have.

My question about monitors is this. Are the curved monitors good, annoying, possibly better than standard flat ones? I just started seeing that literally most of them are curved in the 27'' range and anything beyond that seems ONLY curved. I want to upgrade to a 27 or 32 eventually and I just wasn't sure if the curved had any draw backs. If it did I would probably go for a flat 27'' since those at least exist.

Solution
DisplayPort versions are intercompatible and they all support 144Hz. If you want 3D, 4k or 8k resolution, use DP 1.3 or newer. In your case, if both your monitor and PC has a such connectors you can use any cable. Gold plating gives no extra to data transmission.

You can get used to curved monitors really fast, of course the curvature might be a disadvantage on smaller screen sizes when watching a movie from an angle.

There are good 27" 144Hz flat TN panel monitors such as the iiyama G-Master GB2788HS-B2 Red Eagle and the AOC G2790PX

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
DisplayPort versions are intercompatible and they all support 144Hz. If you want 3D, 4k or 8k resolution, use DP 1.3 or newer. In your case, if both your monitor and PC has a such connectors you can use any cable. Gold plating gives no extra to data transmission.

You can get used to curved monitors really fast, of course the curvature might be a disadvantage on smaller screen sizes when watching a movie from an angle.

There are good 27" 144Hz flat TN panel monitors such as the iiyama G-Master GB2788HS-B2 Red Eagle and the AOC G2790PX

Solution
Jul 13, 2018
Not all DisplayPort cable support 144Hz. Though most of the DisplayPort cable, at least the newer ones, support 4K and 3D resolution.

Gold plating doesn't add to the monitor, that's true. However, it does add to the quality and durability. So, why not get a DisplayPort that will last you a long time.

I found this website to be the guide for best DisplayPort cables