Should I install my OS as soon as I power on my PC?

liamawebb

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
I've put together my build, turned it on, bios came up and it all seems to be working.

I've never built a Pc before so I was wondering what my next steps would be? Do I alter any of the BIOS? GO directly to installing my OS?

A small list of steps would be very helpful as I'm unsure where to go from here.

Many thanks,

Liam

Solution
if it boots to BIOS, then you know everything is playing nicely. next step is to install your OS as you have already guessed.

once OS is installed, then run windows update for it to grab any drivers it may have missed. it's possible you may have to manually install the Ethernet or wifi drivers first as sometimes windows misses these. need the net access for everything else obviously :)
then check device manager for any yellow ! telling you any other drivers you may have to install manually.
install any hardware programs you feel like using (such as mobo monitoring/oc software)
finally start installing everything else like games or office or whatever.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it boots to BIOS, then you know everything is playing nicely. next step is to install your OS as you have already guessed.

once OS is installed, then run windows update for it to grab any drivers it may have missed. it's possible you may have to manually install the Ethernet or wifi drivers first as sometimes windows misses these. need the net access for everything else obviously :)
then check device manager for any yellow ! telling you any other drivers you may have to install manually.
install any hardware programs you feel like using (such as mobo monitoring/oc software)
finally start installing everything else like games or office or whatever.

Solution