Nvidia Founder's Ed--Stock Thermal Paste Discovery. "GTX 1080"

• Thread starter Deleted member 362816
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 362816

I will keep this short and simple.

I bought 6 Nvidia Branded GTX 1080's--- Keep in mind cards are not used for mining at all.

I was not to happy with my thermal's in multiple builds so I went online to see what people were saying about result of re-pasting these cards. Sadly the results most show was only a 1-2c difference at best or a decrease in performance.

Usually Nvidia seems to use way to much paste on these reference cards but to my surprise not this time. All 6 cards TIM was very dry and patchy. Some parts of the die and heat-sink were not even covered at all. To be honest this dumbfounded me since we are talking about 6 different card with 4 different lot numbers.

I replaced the paste on every card with some Thermaltake TG-07--- it's all I had. on all 6 cards I have dropped 6-12c in all benchmarks. Same core clocks etc for before and after tests.

To say the least I was disappointed with the thermal-paste that was pre-installed on the cards. I have never seen this bad of job done on a flagship part.

I would advise if you have these cards to replace the TIM, I hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 362816

I'm going to assume that any card 1xxx that uses this cooler may suffer from the same issues. Sometimes those YouTube reviews aren't the best to go by.