Windows background pics

Feb 21, 2018
Can't get rid of wind background picture from showing up on my lock screen at start up. Can't delete file, it continues to show up after resetting my computer back to factory settings. I tried taking ownership of the file to delete it, but nothing works. I even added pictures, it just won't leave.

Solution
you don't have to move anything. If you make new user with admin rights it can see everything older user could.

I had a problem with my original user on PC and had to make a new one. It literally takes 5 minutes to set it up, make it admin and copy the contents of C:\users\oldusername folder onto the new one.

You don't have to install anything at all. Just set up browsers and Steam login and maybe Onedrive if you used it before. Its really painless.

Colif

Win 11 Master
check in settings/accounts/sync settings and see if you have theme set to sync. Its possible if you reset and kept files/settings that the theme etc is all saved on your roaming profile for the user, and windows changes it to that image on every startup. Turning it off should let you change it to whatever you like.

Alternate is try making a new local user and see if the same thing occurs, as problem could be your user is corrupted. It helps to make new user an admin user. If this fixes it, simply copy the contents of the old users folder at C\user\username over top of new to give it same access. Then just need to set up browsers again and possibly steam/onedrive if you used them before. Takes 5 minutes to do as I have done it myself.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

Feb 21, 2018
The picture wasn't showing up the last two days, Until Yesterday & today. I did go to profile removed the sync theme.

The first reset, I did save files. Two weeks later, it wouldn't start and opened with an administrator. I was also an admin, but either had any value to change anything. That's when the picture showed up. So I reset all back to factory settings last week. I'm afraid to set up another user, make screw things up worse. I tried assigning myelf the file in property/security, but that didn't work. Any additional advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its hard to fix user problems, there are ways to fix most other parts of windows but if the user system goes odd, I am not sure how to fix them. Probably a solution using the registry but if I can solve something without sending you in there, I will.

If you reset to factory settings, they are all new users now.. so its likely setting up a new local user may not fix it. It probably recreate the error. But it takes 5 minutes to just create a local user, don't need to make it admin, just need to see if it lets it change the background in lock screen - its an easier fix than some of the others.

try this - it may not help but its worth a try:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

What version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver
Current version is 1709, build 16299.248

If you on 1709, I would suggest a repair install, see if that fixes it.

If you not on 1709, I would see if upgrading to it fixes the problem. Go to here, choose 1st link and download upgrade assistant. Run it and it will upgrade win 10

Feb 21, 2018

Colif

Win 11 Master
you don't have to move anything. If you make new user with admin rights it can see everything older user could.

I had a problem with my original user on PC and had to make a new one. It literally takes 5 minutes to set it up, make it admin and copy the contents of C:\users\oldusername folder onto the new one.

You don't have to install anything at all. Just set up browsers and Steam login and maybe Onedrive if you used it before. Its really painless.

Solution