New Build Compatibility Check

I miss this place. I used to hang out here and answer a lot of people's questions back in 2013.

Sadly, I have not kept pace since then, having redirected my helpful efforts more into the personal finance space in the interim.

I have done some research and picked out some parts which I believe will be compatible with each other and I would just like mostly a sanity test, firstly of "Will this work?" and secondly of "Is this dumb?". If I could spend roughly the same and achieve superior results, please reply back with that. In particular, I am hoping that I am not doing something that will seriously cap my performance when I could spend a little more and not be capped the way I am now. Assume that I am a bit flexible on this price, maybe able to do another 100 if it will uncap the performance of something seriously capped.

Basically, my goal here is to rip out my 2012ish style core and replace it with something more 2018.

What this is replacing is 3570k with an Asrock micro board and 1333 RAM with a Crucial SATA SSD.

The replacements
Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor BX80684I58600K
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x 4GBs 2400mhz
Samsung 960 EVO 256GB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD

Fairly sure I am sitting on a Hyper 212 EVO that should transfer over, but if I am not, then I will get one of those. Other stuff not being replaced is a HD7850 video card, an EVGA 800w'ish modular PSU, and a LianLi PC case. I think I have some Arctic Silver paste laying around as well.

Assume that it's primarily a Strategy/RPG gaming PC with little FPS nor twitch multiplayer and secondarily an other stuff PC and that I won't do a lot of audio/video editing. There's no particular game that I want to optimize for. I don't particularly care to play on the highest possible graphics settings. I would like to reduce load times in games like Mordheim/XCOM2.

I don't do a lot with large files other than loading them as video game levels.

Would consider doing U.2 if it's well more performant than M.2, but I would really rather have the fewer cables to manage if it's not a major performance difference.

Can't think of much else to add atm.

Sorry if I was unclear, what I meant by the x2 on the end is that I wanted to order two instances of that item "Crucial - 1 x 4GB DDR4-2400 Memory CT4G4DFS824A"

Thanks for the response.

Many years ago when I used to do this I learned to trust Crucial completely. Kingston next most, then G.Skill.

Unfortunately, I wasn't easily able to find a 2 pack of that same RAM and I wasn't massively overpaying by going with separate packs.

I do definitely appreciate the matching RAM thing and I will continue trying to actually find a version of "2 in the same pack" like you said.

Thanks for the response.

The thing I always liked about Crucial (Micron) is that they are one of the 6 or so companies capable of making a RAM chip along with Samsung, Hynix, and a few others. They QC their chips and keep the best of the lot for their own products and sell the majority to these other brands that can't make their own chips (G.Skill, Corsair, etc).

I would rather be using chips that are in the top 1/4 of the production run, rather than the best of the chips that are in the bottom 3/4 of the production run.

I'm sure that G.Skill does a good job sorting through the bottom 3/4 of Samsung's production runs looking for the gems and that Corsair is the same for Hynix, but I always preferred to be on the side that were "keepers" in the initial QC.

I mostly gravitated toward Crucial among the 6 or so primary chip makers, because they had the highest presence in the "Build your own PC" market. Samsung, Hynix, and the rest seemed largely resistant to making a big push into that market. Most of the time when I see RAM from Samsung or Hynix it's stuck in OEM PCs like DELL or servers or phones.

What is it about G.Skill and Corsair that make their offerings superior? The heat sinks and stuff they tack on?

Agree with the in-house chip part, but G. Skill and Corsair use samsung b-die which is pretty good, so I am not really concerned.

For Intel, I think all three brands and others will be fine. Ryzen is very picky and G.Skill has highest probability to run 3000+ than other brands, Corsair is catching up too. Also heard good story about overclocking G Skill and Corsair rams compared to other brands. Everyone has their own reasons to purchase, buy crucial if that makes you happy. I am just throwing some alternatives there :) Make sure your seller has good return policy if you want to try 2 separate Crucial sticks.