Keyboard typing crazy

councillor1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
I unplugged my old win 7 ide SATA HD and booted up with only new SSD and windows 10 DVD and noticed right away that I couldn't type in the correct 25 digit product code (it was typing out a "1" for a "J" an "6" for a "0" and an "S" for a "i") BUT next to the open box there was a icon to use the on-screen keyboard --- and that worked fine so I continued and the install went well -- then I noticed that my keyboard was still doing the crazy typing.

So i'm here using the old ide sata win 7 HD.

I've tried a lot of google suggestions and nothing to date has fixed this issue, do you know of anything to fix same ??

Solution
Laptop or desktop? Model?

Sometimes one of the function keys locks the secondary numbers on the keys. probably hold FN between your ctrl and alt key on the left and press one of the f1,f2,f3,etc keys to turn off num lock. This generally applies to laptops.
Laptop or desktop? Model?

Sometimes one of the function keys locks the secondary numbers on the keys. probably hold FN between your ctrl and alt key on the left and press one of the f1,f2,f3,etc keys to turn off num lock. This generally applies to laptops.

Solution

councillor1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

I don't remember exactly what combo of key's that did it but it was holding the FN button down and hitting one of the F number key's that fixed the crazy typing issue.......... Many Thanks!!