External Hard Drive not detected by laptop

Feb 22, 2018
Hi Guys! I have a 4 TB WD external hard drive that is working fine with my TV and Computer. It's just undetected in my laptop and not showing up in device manager/ disk management. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Solution
If it's a 4tb desktop drive with its own power source, a Y USB won't help in that case. Worth a shot if you have a portable one though.
Feb 22, 2018

thanks for this boss. I tried all the ports in my laptop but it is not working. I tried it in my wife's laptop it's not detected too. But when I plugged it in my PC and my TV it can easily be detected.

unplug device

Try opening command prompt and entering

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Then

c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc

the second one will open device manager where you will go to the top and press View>Show Hidden Devices

then, under Disk drives, select all of the grayed out devices and right click uninstall.

restart and try to connect the drive again

Feb 22, 2018

Followed everything you said Boss but still can't detect the hard drive. I tried it again on my PC it's working fine. I'm leaning toward it's a power issue. What do you think?

Feb 22, 2018

It's possible boss but it's gonna be a lot of work. I'ma try to get a usb Y cable to boost the power towards the hard drive. I'll let you know the result. Thank you!