Mouse and keyboard not working, except in BIOS

Feb 23, 2018
So today, for no apparent reason, my keyboard and mouse stopped working.

When booting my PC, a custom built windows 10 (built more than a year ago), lights on my keyboard (Logitech G910) and mouse (Zowie EC2-A) are on, but once on the login screen of windows, lights go off, and nothing is working. My mouse's light will seldom stay illuminated, and if I unplug and plug back the devices the lights will momentarily turn on but nothing will work.

Strangely, when in BIOS settings, both will work fine. I tried unplugging the PC (waiting for the lights to turn off even on the motherboard etc.), unplugging the devices, tried tu use another mouse (very basic one but USB), mouse and keyboard work on my laptop, I even tried to go into safemode, mouse and keyboard were able to select the options to launch safemode (by failing to boot the PC more than 3 times and then selecting the options, rebooting, option 4 "enter in safemode), and when coming onto the login page of the safemode, devices won't work again..

It seems I have tried everything, but I just can't seem to be able to get onto the device manager to even troubleshoot further, I tried connecting to every single USB port, although strangely my headset (HyperX cloud 2) is connected to a USB 3.0, the light on the little controller is on so seems to work but I couldn't get to try it out.

Specs :
Motherboard ASUS maximus VIII hero alpha
500Go SSD + 1TB HDD (only for pics and videos, pretty much everything is on the SSD)
8 Go ram
intel i7-6700k
GeForce GTX1060

I'll keep my researches going but it looks like nobody ever had my problem before

Solution
Tried to connect mouse and keyboard via PS/2 ports. Did not work for me.

Then entered the recovery mode - System restore, choosed the system restore point from 13.02 - restored and restarted. The mouse and keyboard

suddenly worked. So it was the last win update that messed it up.

I disabled the update service so now Im "living dangerously" but with operative mouse and keyboard . Will wait with updates for some time

Feb 23, 2018

Just posted the reply on other thread with same topic . I have the same issue since yesterday. Have a Logitec Hyperion Fury G402 Mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard K740 and they both stopped working simultaneously (only after windows 10 are loaded; in bios they are responsive and work normaly). Tried to plug them in other USB Ports, no response. Tried to plug in other USB devices, all are recognised and work normaly .

Feb 23, 2018

Like external WiFi Card or printer.. I will try today also with PS/2 devices. Apparently lot of win 10 Users complain about the same issue since yesterday..

Feb 23, 2018
yes I sent an email to a hardware store in my city, they will see about the problem (I had to send an email because when I called the girl said they guys dealing with problems don't really speak English so she'll sort it out with them) and if not they will probably provide me with devices with PS/2 ports, I'll post an anwer here at the end of the day probably

Feb 23, 2018

Thanks, will do the same after performing the tests with PS/2 ports,

samyakjain222

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Try reinstalling intel chipset, keyboard , mouse and other devices associated.
If not fixed , try borrowing another keyboard/mouse from one of your friend for testing. Also if this does not fix the problem, try beating the metal piece located at the end of the mouse/keyboard wire on the longer side(that might have become loose). If this does not fix the problem try reinstalling the OS. If even this does not work, then you have to replace the USB ports.

ics

Feb 23, 2018

Feb 23, 2018
Tried to connect mouse and keyboard via PS/2 ports. Did not work for me.

Then entered the recovery mode - System restore, choosed the system restore point from 13.02 - restored and restarted. The mouse and keyboard

suddenly worked. So it was the last win update that messed it up.

I disabled the update service so now Im "living dangerously" but with operative mouse and keyboard . Will wait with updates for some time

Solution
Feb 23, 2018

Oh my god why didn't I think about it before??? To be honet I didn't even know my PC was doing backups by itself and I was regretting not doing any manually especially because I have an HDD that can store them

So I restarted my PC during the boot 3 times to launch the recovery mode and elected to restore from the 20th of february, everything works! I will disable updates for a couple of days as well as a precaution

Thanks Corwin!