Internet speed not matching

Feb 23, 2018
Hi, yesterday I upgraded my internet speed and i'm not getting 120 mb/s download.. I'm getting 60-70 (which is what I had for years) But I know that the plan upgraded because my upload speed for sure is much higher... What is bottlenecking it?

accessrandom

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018
www.youtube.com
This is a case where you should probably contact your internet provider. They can perform diagnostics on your modem on their end. They'll probably ask you to connect directly to the modem instead of going through a router/switch to have you perform tests on your end.

Feb 23, 2018

Actually let me try that real quick

Feb 23, 2018

I just confirmed it's the modem..
EDIT: router not modem

with cable modems you need to make sure the modem you have is supported for the newer speed by the isp. the older 2.0 modems dont have channel bonding like the newer 3.x and newer modems will have. with the older modems there only so many channel to push data down. that why if you look on comcast or cox web page on supported modems there only a few for there gig speeds.

if you do have a new modem and it under the supported list power cycle it. if the speed does not change have a eng level teck at the isp re push the firmware/setup profile to your modem. if the modem setup firmware is old or outdate you wont get the full speed of your isp.

Yeah, try power cycling the modem. Cable modems use 6 MHz channels which each provide about 40 Mbps. A 8x4 modem can thus use 8 channels (about 320 Mbps) for downloading, 4 channels (160 Mbps) for uploading. If your plan doesn't use this much speed, the cable company doesn't waste channels on your modem. So a 60/10 Mbps plan would configure the modem to only use 2x1 channels.

Based on your description, your old plan was only using 2 download channels (80 Mbps max). Your new plan's upload speed is probably still under the 40 Mbps you get from one channel, so you automatically got the increase there. But the modem needs to be reset before it can pair up with more than the 2 download channels it was originally using.

If a power cycle doesn't do it, you may need to request the cable company reset your modem. A reset will cause their equipment and your modem to renegotiate which and how many channels it'll use.

Okay, so you've upgraded the service package. The first thing i'd ask is how are you measuring the speed? Are you using Speedtest? Are you connected to the router via ethernet (cable) or wifi? If it's on wifi, unless you are standing over the router, and using 5ghz band you will not get full speed.

If it's by ethernet, and it's not up to 120mb, then it could be a couple of things. Firstly, the contention ratio comes into play. If you're sharing the bandwidth with others (lets say a contention ratio of 8:1 - meaning you are sharing the bandwidth with 8 other users), naturally this will impact your speeds.

If you have a 1:1 ratio which some ISP provide, then great, they can diagnose, and maybe as accessrandom has said 'push' a firmware update. Or you can google the model number of your router, and do it yourself.

But also, be aware, ISP's often advertise, as 'up to 120mb'. This is a roundabout way of saying they may not be able to provide those stated speeds. It's a very cynical approach, but it's the norm for ISP's.

Feb 23, 2018

I'm using a wired connection to my gigabit ethernet port on my pc, connecting straight to the modem gives me the full speed but all three routers I have aren't allowing any more than 60 mb/s.I'm using an online test which is working fine.

accessrandom

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018
www.youtube.com

Is there anything on the router(s) that could be slowing down your network traffic? Perhaps a bandwidth limiter? QOS can also slow down your traffic if it's not set properly.

Feb 23, 2018
No there's nothing setup slowing it, the one they gave me is 7 years old (i've been using it for that full time) and I don't believe that that it supports the full speed