New Windows 10 Insider Preview Build Makes Changes To Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
So they are now even trying harder to force updates on people that make a choice to only install the ones that they chose to install. I noticed in fall creators update they made it so you can yes turn off the updates but it will turn itself back on in about 30 minutes to an hour and do whatever it wants. I have no problem with being up to date but it is my PC I bought it and also bought the windows license so with that said I want control of how my machine runs not the choices being made from someone else.

I had to gut windows update on a work system because the update which was a feature upgrade took control of the system during my work hours and made the PC useless for 2 hours while it upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10. This was down time for the PC and the work it had to do while MS took control of it and money lost. So when I got the PC back up to windows desktop I gutted the update system and did the same on the other machines in the building as well I now get updates else where when I choose to do it and that is on weekends when the business is closed and the machines are not needed.

I know there will be oh but you are making the internet unsafe for the rest of us complaints. Well whatever money talks bull crap walks if MS can make sure that when they do a forced update and the PC's in the building go down all of a sudden to do updates then I will let them handle the updating tasks until then I will do it myself when I have the time to do so. Side note when MS decided to turn the PC off and do the update that PC was actually in control of a machine which made it go funky and waste a lot of product..Thanks MS for that but we won't have to worry about that any longer now will we. ALso we never actually installed Windows 10 on any of these machines it was also a forced upgrade form Windows 7 Pro on all of the machines but that is another story and how it took the whole business down for an afternoon.

alextheblue

Distinguished

They have this new invention called an IT department. Any competent one can handle the aforementioned issues. If you are too small to have an IT department, hire some random nerd that sort of knows what he's doing. Any random dork can schedule an update to happen when they're not doing whatever.

Tanyac

Reputable
Windows 10 is so wonderful (That's sarcasm).
It thrashes my hard disk, hammers my internet connection and continually turns itself on causing noticeable increases in my energy costs. There are 10 PCs in my home so multiply that all by 10. And now they want to foce my computers to stay awake sucking up more electricity.

Dear Microsoft, can you please pay my electricity bills.

Hey, everyone's entitled to a little bit of a rant every now and then... I feel so much better now.

But seriously.. I think Microsoft have definitely gone of the rails since the release of Window 8

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
I'm so sick of these forced updates that I have to deal with. Every time they do these updates I have to change or modify crap because you can't delete anything. I'm so ready to just get pro.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
tear jerker

maxresdefault.jpg

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... Newer have had any problems with win10, but PC world is so diverse that problems has to happen from time to time.
So this is a dilemma. Patches make computer more safe, but can cause havoc if you have more exotic hardware. So there has to be an option to choose!

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Tom's is a great source for tech news. But, isn't it time the comment system gets a fix? It's rather frustrating to see long comments vanish into oblivion with the nonsensical error "The form is not valid".

Giroro

Splendid
So what are you supposed to do when Windows new and "Improved" hard-shutdown hangs? Unplug the PC? Pull the battery? Good luck doing either of those on a modern laptop.
If windows was working properly in the first place, then I wouldn't be holding down the power button would I?

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I feel like the updates are much more manageable on Win10 Pro, they should make this experience the same across all Win10 versions.

Proactive? They are showing more bullying behavior by removing more control from the user. Your power options will be trumped by Windows whenever it feels like it. I am happy to see it still comes with free infinite boot loops to every 1000th user.

You know, you complained a lot here, but you also threw in a lot of unnecessary FUD. Microsoft didn't "force an update" on you; you weren't required to install Win 10 on your Win 7 Pro machines. You can also schedule updates & even when machines restart.

More importantly, if you were managing a corporate network of Windows machines, I have no idea why you didn't have something as simple as WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) running to manage your updates even starting with your Win 7 PCs. Then you could schedule updates to occur whenever you wanted (like on the weekend), and all of your corporate PCs would only install the updates you approved (you do test updates first, right?). This was available well before Windows 10 was released.

I'm hearing more of a lack of proper management & administration than something that is truly a fault of Windows 10.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
In it's consumer flavor, I think W10 is doing a great job avoiding versions fragmentation and staying up to date. It is much better updated that say, most Android devices (very dependent on the manufacturer of the device or either network operator), or iOS making your devices slower, removing features if you don't have a recent model, etc...
And for those of us managing it in a larger environment, there are just so many things that can be done (WSUS, Intune or any 3rd party patches management tool) to assist you in the proper updating of the devices.
As a professional, I find Windows 10 just as easy to manage and update as Windows 7 was before and I like that things like flash player now gets automatically updated just like the rest of the OS.
I wish companies like Adobe or Oracle (for Java runtime) were doing more efforts for not pushing crappy standalone updates that require admin rights or the use of their exotic deployment tools to be installed properly in a business environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.