HDMI computer monitors would not turn off when in stand-by or when computer is shut down

R0GG

Distinguished
HDMI computer monitors would not turn off when in stand-by mode or when computer is shut down ( back to the computer cave age) : long time issue still not resolved with older HDMI monitors, wonder if the new HDMI monitors or Video cards do better, what about display ports ?
I know from experience that VGA and straight DVI supports turning off monitors in stand-by mode. I have my dual display Acer P243W and Samsung T240HD power hooked to a wireless remote so I could turn them on and off easily with a click on a remote, but any update about this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Graphic Card Asus Matrix Platinum R9 290X
Displays Acer P243W connected through straight HDMI cable,
Samsung T240HD connected through HDMI cable with DVI-to HDMI adapter at the card DVI-D port.
AMD/ASUS catalyst 15.7 and Asus GPU tweak 2.8.
Asus Crosshair Formula V, with AMD FX-8350

Solution

My HDMI and DP monitors all go to standby mode when I shut my computer down or put it to sleep. Though none of them are really old, maybe 5years at most.

SCGAZELLE

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

My HDMI and DP monitors all go to standby mode when I shut my computer down or put it to sleep. Though none of them are really old, maybe 5years at most.

Solution

R0GG

Distinguished
Thanks for the reply, I've been suspecting the HDMI version of the monitors or other circuity to be too old to support sleep signal from video card (both monitors were issued around 2008), and hoping for some firmware upgrade... I guess it's time for an upgrade !

SCGAZELLE

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

In theory I don't see how this could change anything but maybe if you were to plug the Samsung to your GPU with just a HDMI. and the Acer through a HDMI to DVI-D to the GPU that could do something.

R0GG

Distinguished
Nice thought, I will try some combinations and each monitor by itself, although went through those set ups before but never paid attention to monitors behavior , will definitely give it a try, thanks very much for following up

y2016new

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Hello ROGG,

You wrote: "I know from experience that VGA and straight DVI supports turning off monitors in stand-by mode."

I would just like to ask from your experience/knowledge if a new PC connected to an old monitor with VGA cable sends always the monitor OFF from a stand-by mode of the monitor after some period of Idle/sleep of the PC ?? Because my new PC keeps my monitor in stand-by mode just few minutes and then the monitors goes OFF completely.

R0GG

Distinguished
Hi Y2016new, from what I remember (haven't used DVI or VGA cables or outputs for a long time now) on my previous rig with DVI + D-sub (VGA) hook-ups to monitors with no convertors-adapters in between, my monitors would go on stand-by when PC is off or hibernating (means monitors successfully go in stand-by mode = monitors still powered but turn themselves off in absence of display signal but wake up and display when signal is display resumes) WHICH IS GOOD.
which is not the case with my 2014 ish monitors with HDMI hook ups (monitors recognize there is no signal but stay on no matter what : I was told either the monitors were of early generation having early HDMI not supporting stand-by mode or monitors themselves lack for circuitry to process HDMI stand-by : I ended up hooking monitors to a wireless power plug which I turn off manually with remote) Apparently newer HDMI monitors do not suffer from this issue.
It could also be a cable issue, as I didn't update either my monitors or my HDMI 10 feet cables in 6 years.
Hope this helps.

y2016new

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

Thanks for the detailed information. This supports what I was suspecting about types of connections influencing the stand-by/power-saving modes of my monitor. I shall buy a new DVI-HDMI cable adapter even just for improving the quality of display. But here's the catch about my original thought. The problem was resolved just by setting OFF in the monitor menu the Auto Power option. I don't get how & why this resolved the issue as I never touched this menu since using it only once after buying my monitor 8 years ago. Until now the same monitor worked fine (including stand-by mode) with the older Windows 7 & XP.

Anyway, thanks for the useful information you gave.

R0GG

Distinguished
I am thinking maybe the AUTO POWER OFF option would override and " interrupt" the stand by "state" of the monitors (awaiting a display signal to wake up) and would not allow them to auto-turn back on when computer awakes? It could be a useful tip, I'll navigate my quiet complicated monitors menus and see if I can find some auto shut off options, thanks so much for your update.

y2016new

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

:) :)

You should thank this guy, Caledon Ken, who said to me:
"Also please ensure in your monitor menu you have Auto Power set to OFF."
At this link: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/124302-why-my-monitor-goes-off-after-some-standby-time.html