When Freesync is turned on windows 10 locks itself to 60Hz

CrestHD

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
This is fairly new I bumped into it a week or so ago. I have a 144Hz monitor and it supports freesync[Samsung CFG70]. I did use it when I got it and it worked just fine. Now when I switch between freesync on/off the refresh rate locks to 60Hz even though the monitor's settings reads 144Hz. Here's a pic.
http://
Later I started to mess with the displayport versions 1.1 and 1.2 and on 1.1 freesync works on 144Hz, but sometimes without any warning would simply lock itself back to 60Hz. Is my monitor failing, is it windows updates? I did try rolling back my GPU drivers to the one that worked with freesync yet, now that doesn't work either. I tried contacting AMD about it too, but their report page never loads in, so annoying and stupid...

CrestHD

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
It's an RX 580. I actually realized that the AMD Radeon Settings sends me a notification when I turn on freesync that the refresh rate is not supported or the cable isn't connected correctly. The funny thing is that I did try older drivers using Display Driver uninstaller and it still says the same thing on those. Sadly I have no other DP cable I could try it out with, but the one I got didn't get damaged as far as I'm aware.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried free sync using the standard engine? It seems Ultimate doubles the range Freesync works in so it might be set up right now - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3427553/samsung-cfg70-freesync-question.html

generally Win 10 doesn't need monitor drivers but perhaps if Samsung release them, it might help PC recognise that generic pnp monitor isn't so generic - I am not sure what the drivers or software here does: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/curved-gaming-monitor-cfg70-series - they may not be win 10.

CrestHD

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
Unfortunately it still locks itself to 60Hz whatever engine I use. Installing the driver didn't help either... I can only think that it was a Windows update that caused this, because I went back to the OG drivers the RX580 came with and it still goes down to 60Hz. Or it might be the cable, I don't know what happened to it though. Worst case scenario is RMA the whole display. I had some other problems with it and still do since I got it anyway. First I'll try a new displayport cable tho.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It could possibly be a bad cable.
Check that your monitor is set to the higher refresh rate mode in it's OSD settings.
Double check that you are running on the latest drivers for you GPU.
If necessary, uninstall the graphic drivers and software using iobit power uninstaller or rivo uninstaller for software and using DDU to uninstall the drivers and then install them. furthermore, if necessary, do this again and install the previous version of the drivers and software to see if that helps.

Mar 19, 2018
i had the same problem with my RX480 and i fix it changing the dp cord. Sometimes i had to change the freesync config from standard engine to ultimate engine to get 144hz.