Puzzled... my new AMD FX-8300 system is a lot slower than my old one

Feb 24, 2018
I just upgraded my computer and was a bit surprised and disappointed to find that my new one, with about 40% more Passmarks, is significantly slower than my old computer, which I built way back in 2010 for about the same cost! The specific job I'm doing is programming... I'm processing millions of files using 32-bit C++ code I wrote. So this is heavy I/O stuff. I am using a SATA SSD drive plugged directly into the motherboard.

I physically moved the drive and plugged it into the new motherboard the same way. Same exact configuration, same drive letters, everything. I did turn off file indexing on the new system (same as the old system) and changed the Recycle Bin to delete files immediately, to reduce the burden on the OS.

Unfortunately on the new system, it is processing the files at about 20% the speed of the old system.

Any ideas where the bottleneck might be? I am wondering if the problem is the motherboard or the bus. It also occurred to me that maybe Windows 10 is simply not up to the task. Does anything below stand out as "slow" on the new system?

Below I've written my specs. Thank you!

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Memory - 12 GB DDR3
OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Memory - 16 GB DDR3