Are all "Make Windows 300% faster" Youtube videos just full of s*** or do some of those tricks actually work?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Could someone on here please make a list of tips that will actually make Windows 10 faster or at least point me to some YT video or site that has one?

Also will any of those kinds of tips work on a fast pc like mine (i5 3570K + 2 2TB 7200rpm drives + GTX 750)?

Solution
for the most part most videos will not be much help and would never give you that large of a performance increase unless it was providing a fix for particular bugs. to get a performance increase you have to identify the performance bottleneck and address it. Even then most people do not correctly identify the problems correctly. for example, solid state drives can make a big performance increase but on windows 10 copies data from the disk and creates a saved compress image in memory and reduces the need for the SSD. more memory you have the less the SSD is used.

many of the video just really do not do anything very useful other than deletion of some internet browser files. Or try to sell you a product. some might claim 300%...
for the most part most videos will not be much help and would never give you that large of a performance increase unless it was providing a fix for particular bugs. to get a performance increase you have to identify the performance bottleneck and address it. Even then most people do not correctly identify the problems correctly. for example, solid state drives can make a big performance increase but on windows 10 copies data from the disk and creates a saved compress image in memory and reduces the need for the SSD. more memory you have the less the SSD is used.

many of the video just really do not do anything very useful other than deletion of some internet browser files. Or try to sell you a product. some might claim 300% performance improvement but it is a misleading number. example, if it takes 3 seconds to search your temp files, I delete most of your temp files then it might take 1 second to do the search. 300% improvement but you will never notice it since it would never really have an effect unless you hit a error condition like being out of disk space.

Solution
yep, hardware upgrades are the most consistent way of improving windows performance.
solid state drives can make very significant performance gains in program load times. more RAM can allow the windows memory manager to preload more programs into memory so they are already in standby memory when you go to run the program.

updated routers and updated network cards can make improve your internet bandwidth.
testing your cable internet speed is useful also, just to make sure you are getting the correct speed that you are paying for. if you use wireless and there are a lot of other wireless routers that your neighbors have, you might do a profile scan of the routers to find a band that is not being used. my local machine can see 55 different routers, all of them are having their packets collide on 3 different bands on the 2.4ghz frequency. I upgraded the router to a dual band 2.4 and 5.ghz router and scanned the frequencies and put my router on a unused band and get full access speed with no interference from other routers. It looks like a big performance increase but it was just avoiding the interference that the other routers cause.

in the end you have to identify what the performance bottleneck could be and look at ways to address it.
most fixes will require hardware upgrades rather than a software tweak. you will also look at what you spend most of the time doing on the machine also. (running excel? running a browser? games?)

USAFRet

Titan

Those videos do exactly one thing.
Gather ad clicks for the people who make them.
"300%" is laughable.

1. New hardware. (hint..an SSD is far faster than whatever you're doing with your HDD RAID 0)
2. Disable unnecessary services and applications
3. Update other hardware
4. Don't download and allow a virus to run
5. If you're WiFi, move close to the WiFi source.

Just be careful with updates, that you can control. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.