Selling Gaming PC

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I'm looking to sell my gaming PC, but I was wondering if I should sell it for parts or as a whole. With the shortages in memory and GPU's, would selling the computer parts separately be more profitable?

System specs:
CPU: Core i5 7600k
Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z270F
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 290X (4GB)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO (120 GB)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400 mhz Team Vulcan
PSU: EVGA Supernova 550 Watt 80+ Gold
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
CPU Cooling: Cryorig H7
I'm running Windows 10

Also, I'd appreciate your opinion about asking price, just to get a good range of ideas and opinions to help me find the right price.
Thank you!

D

Deleted member 217926

MERGED QUESTION
Question from shadowvoid841 : "Looking to Sell Gaming PC"

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
What motherboard do you have?
What RAM specifically?
Anything other hard drives besides the SSD?

With the current parts and info about them you've provided and with my own looking into things and picking out parts the system I put together retails for $1097.48

With adjustments following these guidelines:
What can someone buy brand new at retail that is the same item or newer and/or comparable for less money. keeping that in mind I set out to put together the build with adjustments for what you can get right now.

So knowing this I looked at what was available for EVGA PSU's and I found that the cheapest EVGA PSU that has no less than 500w and is 80+ gold rated is a Supernova G3 550w 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU so I took the price it retailed for and tried to find comparable for less and I could not. I could find semi modular Seasonic FOCUS Gold 550w for $10 less and another $15 less with a mail in rebate but I went with the EVGA.

I chose the cheapest 2400Mhz 16GB configuration available for the RAM since I don't know what RAM you have.

For comparing the R9 290X I found that the best option that directly compares is the GTX 1060 3GB GPU so I went with that in the build as well.

As for the case, I found it on Amazon from a 3rd party source for nearly $300 so I obviously didn't calculate that into the price. I would say since you can get really great cases for just under $100 retail now that you would have to basically compete with that price point as well. So I chose one of the best cases that has come out so far with tons of air flow and great water cooling compatibility and support for full size ATX motherboards and that is the Fractal Design Meshify C.

As for the motherboard, since you didn't specify one, I chose the cheapest Z270 for overclocking (assuming you have one, because why would you buy an overclockable chip if you are just going to buy a cheap motherboard that can't overclock it?)

With all of this in mind and putting together a comparable system I came to a price of $1097.48 as stated above. Now since you have to compete with that and in today's market people don't want to spend a ton of money you have to sell at a reasonable price that will make people interested in buying it.

So I'd say that you could start by listing your PC for sale at $800 to get a good chunk of money for it and to entice people to buy. From there you can drop the price little by little as enough time goes by and people don't bite. You can also start there and see who contacts you looking to haggle the price down a little bit and see if someone offers you a price that you are comfortable selling at.

Alternatively you can try to part out the system and hopefully sell all of the parts and have nothing left behind that becomes useless on it's own.

For a baseline for pricing you can put your used parts at in comparison to new ones (meaning pricing lower than the retail price of the new parts enough that people become interested) here is the PCPP list I put together of this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($207.77 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Memory: Team - Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.87 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GT OC Video Card ($349.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1097.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-25 03:40 EST-0500

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017

Can't believe I forgot the motherboard! I have a ASUS Strix Z270F
The RAM is Team Vulcan, which according to PC PartPicker is going for $174.89 on Newegg.
I have no other drives that I am including with the computer, I'm keeping my hard drive that I had.
My power supply is the EVGA 550 Watt, fully modular.

I believe I bought my case for around $140 at the time.

I will update everything in my main post as well.

Thank you!