Seagate IronWolf 12TB HDD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2015
This article sounds like an apology to why Seagate's trust should be restored. If the 8Tb drives failed in a short amount of time, the similar products with bigger space might just do the same thing. Changing the segment name to make us think those products won't fail again is just a frivolous marketing stunt. There are too many problems with Seagate's drives: predictive failures that happen a few weeks later, the platters are bad quality, firmwares that are often buggy, and probably planned obsolescence, are just enough redflags as to why this company is not serious enough to stay in that business' segment.
I also read the article twice, there are a bunch of affirmations that I completely disagree with, it's not even a different point of view, it's just a point of view based of presenting a situation and a reality in a given time (example Seagate increased product quality, but prices also shot up). It's always the same thing, prices go up to get the executives bigger bonuses, nothing else. That being said, there are fortunately other competitors in the market.

sstanic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2016
But the noise numbers are OK..no, wait, there are no noise numbers. If only our smartphones could measure it.. And WD Red and Red Pro 10TB are available for a good while now, not "just recently". They are made with HGST Helium technology, a big plus.

Feb 26, 2018
shoot, I had been eyeballing the 6TB to buy a couple for a raid 1 mirrored array to replace my 2000GB barracuda array that's degraded from a single failed drive after running fine for at least 5 years. these comments are making me hesitant even though I had been all about Seagate early last decade.

Mar 14, 2018
Same here Decker. All I want is a large fast drive, I've been doing research on Ironwolf and other drives but these comments seem a little bit biased, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.