How to convince my parents to let me build a PC

Feb 25, 2018
I am 16 years old, almost entering my junior year. I had my exams recently and got straight As. My birthday is coming up and I desperately need a new computer. My current one is a minimum speced MacBook Pro mid 2012. It's not like my family is poor. We are upper middle class. So money isn't an issue. I have Computer Science as a subject and I want to play games like fortnite and pubg on the new rig. My parents don't know much about the pc building realm. Thanks.

Solution
First, talk to your parents about your desire. Ask them to list the reasons why they don't want to buy it. Then list the reasons why you need a new PC. Tell them that you have Computer science as a subject and you'll desperately need a new one to be successful. Try to be calm and meaningful when you're convincing them. Anger would only make it worse :) and don't insist on it...

kanewolf

Titan
Commit your own funds. That shows you are serious.

Find out what the reservations are, exactly. If you don't know the issue, then you can't negotiate.

Why do you believe you have to build? If the end goal is a new PC, a commercially built system would be equivalent.

Look at the MANY existing threads on this same topic -- http://www.tomshardware.com/s/convince+my+parents+build/#/forum/

Mar 7, 2018
First, talk to your parents about your desire. Ask them to list the reasons why they don't want to buy it. Then list the reasons why you need a new PC. Tell them that you have Computer science as a subject and you'll desperately need a new one to be successful. Try to be calm and meaningful when you're convincing them. Anger would only make it worse :) and don't insist on it...

Solution