My SSD is almost full

Ertrius

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2016
My 500GB SSD is getting full. I have 107GB of 465GB free. The six games I have on it take up the majority of space. What would be the best way to get more storage? Buy another SSD and add a second drive to PC, or buy another SSD with a larger capacity and transfer everything to the larger one?

If it's a desktop computer it would be cheapest to ad a larger HDD for data and some games/programs. More expensive but marginally faster (as second disk) another SSD instead of HDD for same purpose.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

1. Find and download steammover. It works for any game and program installed on PC, not only for steam games.

2. Read those articles regarding How to Move a PC Game to Another Hard Drive (Without Re-Downloading It) and Do you have a super-fast SSD that is too small to hold all your steam games at the same time?

3. Decide yourself which games to keep on your SSD and which ones to move to a bigger HDD.With steammover you do not have to uninstall and re-install anything

4. Profit..

Ertrius

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2016
Ok, thanks. I think I`ll choose to go for another larger capacity SSD and move just the games to that. Then my current SSD will hold only apps and programs. My HDD holds only pictures, videos, PDF`s and books.
Thanks for the Steam mover tip Myrmidonas.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Glad I helped. I forgot to mention that steam mover works backwards also. Lets say you moved a game or utility on the slow HDD and you decide that it is very slow for your needs.All you need to do is using steam move again and get it back to the fast SSD, as long as there is enough free space of course. Theoretically you may move anything installed in any disk until the end of life of the system. You may even upgrade disks in the future to bigger and faster ones without the need to install again anything you have in your system already.