cant activate windows 10 error code 0x803f7001

jackson.h

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I built my pc over a year ago and has gone smoothly ever since until a couple days ago when I upgraded my CPU(i78700K) and motherboard(Asus prime Z370-p) and now it is asking me to activate windows. I get the watermark in the bottom right corner and I am also locked out of a couple of things like personalization. I went to the activation page in the settings and it says in the red text that "we cant activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key(0x803f7001)"when I try to re-enter my product key it says "the key didn't work. check the key and try again, or enter a different one.(0xc004f050)". I then tried to troubleshoot and it still won't work. I have tried everything I could think of,
please help

I bought my key at one of https://www.pbtech.co.nz/ physical stores in New Zealand

Solution
You need to contact Microsoft, they are the only people who can fix activation. If you explain what you did, they should move it across for you.

When you switch motherboard and CPU it makes Win 10 think its a new PC. You can avoid this by doing a few steps before and after the swap, but unless you can easily remake old PC again, its easier this time to ring Microsoft.

There should be a way to contact them in settings/update & security/activation

The win 10 Product key is one use. Once its used, its recorded against your current PC + an email address possibly. That way if you ever had reinstalled win 10 on old PC you would just click "I don't have a kay" when asked for one, and PC would continue install and once completed, then...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You need to contact Microsoft, they are the only people who can fix activation. If you explain what you did, they should move it across for you.

When you switch motherboard and CPU it makes Win 10 think its a new PC. You can avoid this by doing a few steps before and after the swap, but unless you can easily remake old PC again, its easier this time to ring Microsoft.

There should be a way to contact them in settings/update & security/activation

The win 10 Product key is one use. Once its used, its recorded against your current PC + an email address possibly. That way if you ever had reinstalled win 10 on old PC you would just click "I don't have a kay" when asked for one, and PC would continue install and once completed, then check server to confirm activation.

For a new PC, you should have followed steps here to link license on the old PC to your email address and then on install, do a 2nd step to link new PC to email address - Reactivating win 10 on new hardware

None of this helps you now.

Solution